The support forum

Beta Release 29

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 15, 2013

Just quick patch release to resolve an issue with the installer when run on XP.

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 16, 2013

@Alex Pankratov

The scheduled task that starts Bvckup2 as administrator is not working for me.

Task Scheduler shows the last run result as "Incorrect function. (0x80070001). The entries in the Event Log look okay to me, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the Bvckup log. I tried a few things, but couldn't get it working.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 16, 2013

@pgfitzgerald - does the task settings looks OK? E.g. the command line pointing at the actual .exe... this sort of thing. I *did* test it before releasing, so I can't readily guess what's going on in your case.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 16, 2013

*do* them settings look OK, not *does*

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 16, 2013

Yep, looks fine to me. I tried on two Windows 8 x64 machines. I'm having the same issue on both.

I have a few other programs that use a Scheduled Task to start with admin privileges upon logon so I went through and compared the Bvckup task to them. The Bvckup task looks pretty much the same.

I tried making one manually, changing the security options on the general tab, switching the "configured for" selection on the general tab, editing the trigger for all users, adding quotes around the full path in the action, browsing and selecting the executable, adding the directory to the "start in" setting, and probably a few other things I can't remember.

If I turn off "run with highest provileges" I get "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)" instead of "Incorrect function. (0x80070001)".

Setting the Scheduled Task to run either of the following works but obviously leaves the cmd window open:

%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2\bvckup2.exe"
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /c "C:\Program Files\Bvckup 2\bvckup2.exe"

I tried using taskschd.msc in both %SystemRoot%\System32 and %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 and encountered the same results.

On an unrelated note, this forum doesn't seem to send me any email even though I think I have it set to do so.

MikeB :

Aug 16, 2013

@Alex: just to confirm that running an update in the middle of an active job  now immediately re-runs the interrupted job. Very sweet....

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 16, 2013

@pgf - Weird, I'll try and reproduce it tomorrow. Sounds like W8 is a key.

Wrt to the forum notifications - just checked the code, seems OK, but emails are not indeed sent out. Thanks for the heads up. This too I'll try and sort out tomorrow. I'm in a strange timezone today, it's midnight here right now.

@MikeB - Good news, at least *something* is working as planned :D

pgfitzgerald :

Aug 16, 2013

@Alex

Let me know if I there's anything I can check for you on my Win8 machines.

I unchecked and rechecked the notifications on my settings page and I started getting emails. /shrug.

scribbly :

Aug 17, 2013

I just had a funny experience:
1. ran an existing backup that failed (as I'd moved the source directory)
2. edit settings to point to the correct location
3. 'Go'  command (as it's configged as manual)
4. Runs fine but the log sets the backup job as disabled
5. /thinks odd ...
6. 'Go' command again
7. Sets the status as 'waiting a go command'
8. 'Go' command again
9. runs fine, but the log sets the job as disabled again
10. repeat from #5

finally closed the programme and after loading fresh it all works as expected.

scribbly :

Aug 17, 2013

Oh, just had a thought:

Have you thought about backup groups?

I have a couple of backup jobs that do a similar thing (eBooks / Tutorials), and I thought it might be a nice idea to be able to group them together, both visually in UI and functionally (i.e. be able to issue a 'Go' to the group that cascades down though the grouped jobs).

I know you can multi-select jobs and 'Go', but grouped would be a tiny little bit easier (esp for large groups).

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 17, 2013

@scribbly - Can you pull up the log for that auto-disabling job and see if it says "Job suspended" anywhere in it?

Re: grouping - yeah, this is on a list I am considering, just need to figure out how to get it in without over-complicating the UI.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 18, 2013

@scribbly - Nevermind, found it.

timmib :

Aug 18, 2013

Greetings,

re: grouping jobs - might consider assigning numbers to each job, then the option could be for the user to group jobs by number. fwiw

Anyway, just got bv29 up and running backing up a failing hard disk.  Know that's not the intent but I figured it would give it a good workout.  Seems to be going along just fine.  One think I'd like to see is a default backup settings in the preferences.

Be well,

Kim

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 18, 2013

@pgfitzgerald - I can't seem to get scheduled tasks to work on W8 either! Exact same problems as you described. Can't google anything relevant, it just fails silently without seemingly even trying to launch it :-/ I will have another look tomorrow.

@timmib - Thanks. Default backup settings are coming up shortly.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 19, 2013

@pgfitzgerald - Alright, found it.

MikeB :

Aug 21, 2013

Here's a minor behaviour I don't like.....

I'm (probably unnecessarily) paranoid about my NASs and habitually shut them down manually at the end of the working day first, before properly powering down all the remaining kit.

If the prog is in the middle of a backup when I power-down the NASs, or starts an operation once I've shut them down, I get a "Can't create file at destination" or similar message. All well and good.

Come the next day, I boot up making sure the NASs are up before starting BVckUp. The job that threw up the error the night before is now "Disabled".

I would not expect the job to be tagged "Disabled" and therefore require my manual intervention to run it. I would expect the troubled job to simply try again itself.

Is this intended behaviour, Alex?  (FWIW, all my destinations are referred to by FQPNs)

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 21, 2013

@MikeB - It's a bug in 29, it shouldn't be disabling jobs that fail. I was just experimenting with something and it slipped into the release by an accident.

Jadag :

Aug 21, 2013

Hi Alex. Since upgrading to beta 29 Bvckup no longer starts automatically.
- Window 8
- Set to start when Windows starts
- Mode: Runs as programme
- Runs with full administrator rights
- Appears in Task Manager/Startup

When attempting to switch mode to run as a service, I get an error message:
"The attempt to switch the engine to system service mode has failed. This is an unusual problem, please report it to the Supprt etc."

Any advice please!

Regards - Tony

Jadag :

Aug 21, 2013

P.S.  Starts okay manually.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 22, 2013

@Jadag - Yep, thanks. This is due to changing the auto-start to use "Scheduled Tasks" when running in full admin mode (and this is done to avoid an UAC prompt).

There is a subtle difference between W8 and all earlier Windows versions in how scheduler launches tasks and it makes bvckup quit immediately after the launch on W8. I have resolved this already and the update will be out today.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy