The support forum

Reorder Backups

Homer712 :

Sep 12, 2018

I have nine backups and I'm aware that I can drag/drop to change how they are displayed on the window, but, that does not change the order in which the backups run.

Example: I had a backup called "Safe Stuff" that ran 8th in my list of nine backups. I just now modified the backup and it is now named "Action Items" so I moved it to the top of my alphabetical backups listing, but, it still run 8th, not 1st.

I know this is not a big issue (except for us "OCD" folks) but is there a way to change the order of the run that I just haven't found.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 12, 2018

Ah, nice catch.

Internally backups are ordered by the name of their configuration folder (backup-0001, backup-0002, etc.). However if you are to delete some jobs and then create new ones, the program will reuse folders of the former for the latter.

Scratch that, see my comment below.

Homer712 :

Sep 13, 2018

So, would the easy answer be to just renumber the backup configuration folders to follow the order in which one wants the backups to run?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 13, 2018

I wouldn't call it the _easy_ answer, but, yes, it will work. Just make sure to exit the program before renaming the folders.

I'll also see that we patch the engine to observe backups' UI order.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 13, 2018

Having now looked at the code I'll take back what I said earlier. The list of jobs *is* resorted internally to match what you see in the UI, so if more than one job is due at the exact same moment, the job higher on the list will be queued first.

To clarify - when a job is due and concurrent processing is OFF, then it will be queued on first come first serve basis. That is, job's position in a queue is determined by its due time first and its position on the UI list second.

So if job A is 4th from the top and due at 18:00, and job B is 2nd from the top and due at 18:01, then they will be executed in A, B sequence.

Homer712 :

Sep 13, 2018

You are correct. My original post was based on observation of the first time the backup ran (after name change, etc.) and I right clicked on the tray menu and selected "Backup everything." Now that I go back and manually initiate a backup (backups in question are all set for "Continuously" with a 30 second interval), they do in fact update following the order in the UI.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 13, 2018

"Backup everything"

Ah! Now *that* is something that needs a fix indeed. Checked the code just now and it does NOT respect UI ordering of the jobs.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 17, 2018

Fixed in 79.8 - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1060/6157

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials