The support forum

Backing up to old destination after reinstall

Tomi :

Sep 26, 2018

I've been using Bvckup to back up my current files into a destination folder where nothing is deleted, ie the destination has my old current files from way back, several years.

Then I had to do a complete system reinstall.  After reinstalling Bvckup and creating the same backup scheme as on the old system, Bvckup says it will empty the destination as policy.

So, two questions: 1) Can I be certain that Bvckup will archive the contents of the existing destination file? How are archived files different from files retained in destination with the "Don't delete anything at destination" option?

2) If I do decide to set up a new destination folder, I was thinking maybe I could then move the existing old files there. How would Bvckup  react to that?

Froggie :

Sep 26, 2018

Q1: The file content will be exactly the same but the FileName will be different, containing both the original FileName and an original Archive date.  I find them hard to deal with when trying to merge them back into any part of the System.

Q2: If you did that (I'm guessing here), during your first backup task, Bvckup would archive all the files that it does not see in the new SOURCE folder, again giving you an archive folder full of renamed files.

If the files are important AND you want to use the original Destination Folder name in your new System's scheme, I would RENAME the old Source folder and then use its name in the new scheme.

Any merging of the old DATA and the new System should be done at the SOURCE folder level rather than the destination folder level, IMHO.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 26, 2018

Bvckup says it will empty the destination as policy.

It doesn't says that actually. It says that the program will remove all items that don't exist at the source. It also recommends using a dedicated folder for each backup.

In your case all you need to do is to create a new job - same source, same destination as before - set Deleting to "Don't delete" and then click through that warning. That's it.

PS. Q1 - Archived files/folders will have the date/time of archival appended to their names. Archiving is meant to act as a safety network for catching _occasional_ deletes. Using this option to preserve lots of files, which you will routinely need to restore in the future, is not the best option.

Tomi :

Sep 27, 2018

Thanks Froggie, Alex. I guess I'll just allow it to archive the old files.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this Alex:

"Using this option to preserve lots of files, which you will routinely need to restore in the future, is not the best option."

Insofar as I can see, the regular backup files don't need to restored, but are usable as is. Or am I missing something here? My setup was intended to create an archive, in fact. But I don't have any need for additional info in the filenames, although that's not a big issue.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 01, 2018

I was referring to the fact that archiving a backup copy causes a date/time appended to its name. This means that if you had, say, 100 files archived and then you need to restore them, then all 100 of them will need to be renamed... which is not hard to do with a bit of scripting, but by hand it may take a while.

Insofar as I can see, the regular backup files don't need to restored, but are usable as is.

Correct.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint