The support forum

Backups Missing

gkinrade :

Oct 12, 2018

Yesterday all my backup plans disappeared from the main screen of the program - I had tried swapping from service mode to desktop mode so that I could export my settings however the program crashed - I killed it via task manager and when I reopened it there was an error message saying that the service wasn't running despite the program being in service mode and would I like to start the service.  After I clicked ok it opened the program but without any of my backups.  I can see them all in

%LocalAppData%\Bvckup2

But none appear in

%ProgramData%\Bvckup2

Should they be in just one of the locations?  If not then can I just copy them over to the ProgramData folder?

Thanks in advance

GK

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 12, 2018

however the program crashed

If you killed it through the task manager, it didn't crash. I am guessing that switching the mode was taking a while and you killed it because of that.

What happens during the mode switch is that the "engine\" folder gets moved between %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2 and %ProgramData%\Bvckup2. That’s where all the jobs are.

See here - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/799/4374

However when switching to the desktop mode, the folder needs also have the ownership on all its files reset from the service user account to that of your desktop user. This is ultimately what takes the most of time during the mode switch.

Since you've killed the process partway through, some files in the folder are now owned by one account and some by another.

So, yes, you can copy engine\ back into %ProgramData%, just keep in mind the file ownership nuance. If you want to clear it, switch to desktop mode and then back.

gkinrade :

Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and with such a detailed response.  I've copied the folder across and am now trying again to switch to desktop mode.  How long should it take?  It's been running for about 25 minutes at this point.  I have 11 backup jobs set up.

Thanks again

GK

gkinrade :

Oct 12, 2018

Further to the above - it's now been running for a hour and a half - that can't be right can it?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 12, 2018

No, that's not normal unless your backups have an exceptionally large count of large files. That is, into millions of these.

Without stopping the process, forward a copy of your

%LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2-switching.log

to support@pipemetrics.com and I'll have a look.

Also, if you have any sort of real-time antivirus software actively monitoring your file system, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable it. An overzealous (and/or poorly written) AV can absolutely decimate file system performance, especially if it's for operations off the beaten path.

gkinrade :

Oct 12, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me - I've just forwarded that file.  As I put in my email I do have Avast running - it could perhaps be their 'Ransomware Shield' stopping the changes from being made?  

Cheers

George

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 19, 2018

Replied by email (back on Oct 12th).

For the record - it does look like some other process is basically freezing the switching operation by not allowing requests for setting file security information (DACL and such) to complete.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms