The support forum

Bitdefender notification on malware

FransVH :

Oct 21, 2018

Hi
Just installed bvckup2.

For some reason, bitdefender notified me about malware.
https://snag.gy/gB30zm.jpg

Not sure why this is, bvckup2 is running fine.

Frans

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 22, 2018

Thanks, we'll file the false positive report with them. If you have an option to do that from your end, please do so as well.

FransVH :

Oct 24, 2018

Ok, I filled a ticket with bitdefender.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 24, 2018

I reported this to them as well. Here's what they replied with:

The analysis of the file sample has been completed and due to the behavioral nature of the detection, a global exclusion for it will not be possible.

Please apply a local exclusion from Advanced Treat Defense for [xxx]

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any other inquiries in the future.

This is easily the worst response from an AV vendor I've seen to date.

At the very least it implies that they have no full control over how their "behavioral detection" works, so they can't actually reign it in when it misbehaves.

FransVH :

Oct 27, 2018

Sorry to hear that. I did not get a reaction from them yet.  

I would like to use bvckup2, so I guess I should create an 'exception' in bitdefender for bvckup2 exe files.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 27, 2018

False positives happen, but it's the first time I see a Bitdefender one. Their handling of it is rather strange, because nearly all antivirus vendors try and address any false positives as quickly as possible. Perhaps they already patched up, but just didn't bother to follow up with... I can't tell, it's really between you and them.

If in doubt, you can always run any program file against 50+ antiviruses at once over at https://virustotal.com, which is one of Google's properties now.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms