The support forum

Drive wear with frequent backups...

ponder :

Oct 22, 2018

[ Detached from https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/436/6223 ]

Also as a curiousity, are there any concerns for wear on the drives, when using the option "When files & folders are modified, in real time"? I've limited it to 2 hour min. interval so I've assumed it only checks the source every 2 hours.

---

More on that curiousity... if I'm using the option "When files & folders are modified in real-time", but only copying a single file within that folder... Will it be checking the entire folder for changes & copying when a change is found?

I ask because I see that it just did a backup (1 change detected) but I haven't done anything to that folder in hours.

ponder :

Oct 22, 2018

Err please disregard / delete that last comment: I had actually changed it to backup every 2 hrs regardless of changes. Sorry for all the spam.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 23, 2018

Also as a curiousity, are there any concerns for wear on the drives, when using the option "When files & folders are modified, in real time"?

Depends on the drive obviously, but in the vast majority of cases this should be of little to no concern even if you run the backups back to back, with no pacing whatsoever. Especially if, as you describe, it's just a single file that's being re-backed up.

Will it be checking the entire folder for changes & copying when a change is found?

It will, correct. The good news is that for backups that happen next to each other the folder index will most likely be cached by Windows, so retrieving it will be both very fast and NOT require any disk reads.

ponder :

Oct 23, 2018

Sounds allright! Thank you. I appreciate the excellence of both your software & your forum moderation :)

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms