The support forum

Archive backup copies location?

balderdash :

Oct 23, 2018

It says backup copies of deleted items are moved to an archive folder and removed after a specific time. It would be handy to know where this "archive folder" is located.

Thnaks

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 23, 2018

Right-click on the backup entry in main list, select Open Folder > Archive of Deleted Items. More formally it's "$Archive (Bvckup 2)" folder at the top of the backup location,

Charlie54 :

Sep 08, 2019

Can we provide a custom location for the archive ?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 09, 2019

Yes, you can provided that it's on the same volume as the destination folder.

To change the $Archive location add an override for "conf.archive" to the backup settings and point it at a new location, e.g.

conf.archive     X:\Path\To\The\Archive

or

conf.archive     Archive\Here

In the latter case the path will be taken relatively to the destination folder.

See https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1140 for how to add an override.

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

I need the Archive Folder to be on the Source Drive.

Let me explain my scenario.

I have a Drive where I put everything.

Movies
Series
Personal
Personal History

I only need archiving on the personal folder.

So I first do a JOB on the Personal folder only, then run a job on the whole drive.

That way I have my personal archive versioning for when my wife deletes a file without knowing AND i have that same folder backup up to the other drive.

Best

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

So basically, I need to put the archive on the root of the source drive

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

This cannot be done if using just one backup job. Items are archived by moving/renaming, this is how the engine is written. Moving within a volume is just a file system index update, it's very quick. Moving across a volume boundary is ultimately a full-blown file copying, which is slow and requires special handling.

So either the archive remains on the backup volume, or you need to set up a secondary job to replicate the archive back to the source volume (with "deletion" set to "don't" and, perhaps, with a post-backup script to nuke the original archive).

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

Ok, I will add a third job in between the personal and full one where I sync the PeronsalHistory the other way around, and then sync the full drive.

So it's basically SOURCE to DESTINATION.
Archive Folder sync from DESTINATION to SOURCE.
Then sync the full drive from SOURCE to DESTINATION.

If you feel like simplifying this scenario in a  future release where we can copy the files to a custom directory.

Best

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

I understand why you have it set up this way, but this is not a common scenario by any measure. As such I see no point in supporting it natively.

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

Ok.

The thing is, I have about two weeks of modified history files and sometimes I roll back X days.

So I feel safe knowing the history is also backed up in case of a failure.

Is it hard to make the move command in the other way before synchronizing completely ?

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

I don't understand the question.

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

When I synchronize two folders with archive option.

Can't the program move the files that have been modified from destination to a folder in source, then do the synchronization as usual ?

that way people have an option to also backup the files history so that they don't loose anything in case of hardware failure

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

Can't the program move the files that have been modified from destination to a folder in source, then do the synchronization as usual ?

It can if the source and destination are on the same volume. Otherwise it cannot, because it's not a move, but rather a copy-then-delete.

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

Than can't it do a copy-then-delete ?

Even if it means that the speed will go down because of the two way sync.

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 11, 2019

Everything's possible, it's just a matter of effort required to properly support it. Doing copying requires hooking up the archiving part to the ultra copier routine, adding cancellation support, etc. That's quite a bit of work, which I think is not justified in this case, because very few people will want to keep their archives outside of the backup device.

Charlie54 :

Sep 11, 2019

Ok, now I understand how complicated it is.

Thank you for explaining.

I will sync the archive folder in the other way, then redo the sync to the base folder. which will work.

Not sexy, but will work. :)

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms