The support forum

Error: cyclic redudancy check failed

Peacecamper :

Nov 10, 2018

I just got a brand new Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD 500 GB and I'm getting multiple errors while backing up onto it. All are cyclic redudancy check failed. I ran chkdsk /f and checked it with CrystalDiskInfo, both found no errors. I tried two different USB Ports (one USB C, one USB A) and two different USB drivers (Asmedia and the generic one from Microsoft).

When I retry the backup, the same files have the same error again. The files with the error are .mp4, .jpeg and one .zip.

Did I get a bad drive? Or is there anything else I can try to fix this?

Peacecamper :

Nov 10, 2018

Okay, I guess the files are faulty. I just tried to backup one of the files to another usb drive, failed with the same error message. I then tried to copy the file with the windows explorer onto the drive in order to check it out with a different pc. I got an error message telling me that the source file cannot be read. So either bad files or a bad drive in my laptop?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 15, 2018

If a chkdsk run comes clean, it's nearly certain that the CRC error comes from below the file system, so it is hardware related.

If it were my drive, I'd run a surface scan and I'd look at its SMART status. Regardless of the result I'd also try and exchange it. This sort of thing should not be happening for a new drive. You can try and sweep this under a carpet by reformatting the drive, but there *is* something wrong with the drive.

Peacecamper :

Nov 16, 2018

If you look at my second post. Does this mean I should rather swap the drive in my laptop? I get the same errors with the same files on a different external drive.

Froggie :

Nov 16, 2018

Correct!

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 16, 2018

Ah, I misunderstood you - I was replying under the assumption that the errors were with your new external drive, because you said you checked Sandisk after you got the errors. You certainly need to check the drive that is the source of errors.

Peacecamper :

Nov 17, 2018

That was my assumption as well, so no worries. And thanks for your help, I will change out the laptop drive.

Peacecamper :

Nov 18, 2018

Switched out the drive in the laptop, no more errors.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms