The support forum

Continuous backup triggered by copying of files to folder within source?

ponder :

Nov 15, 2018

This is fine for me -- I just thought you should know.  It works properly when I change the destination to an outside folder.  

I set up a backup with %RUN#% for the purpose of auto-saving SketchUp files -- whenever changes are detected, a copy is made in a folder within the source folder (using CTRL to skip the check), with a min. interval of 15 min.  The problem is that changes are constantly detected, so the backup is always running at the minimum interval.  

Source: C:\Drive\_sketchup\_models\1_109\
Destination: C:\Drive\_sketchup\_models\1_109\%RUN#4%\

'Drive' is my Google Drive cloud-synced folder.  The backup is excluding 5 folders (including '1..4' %RUN% folders, in order to copy the remaining 2 loose files.

ponder :

Nov 15, 2018

I'm assuming this is because the source folder is changed when its sub-folders '1-4' (created by %RUN#4%) are changed -- even though I have excluded those folders from 'what to backup'.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 15, 2018

Yep, the way changes are detected is that the program asks Windows for a ping when *anything* in the source folder changes. So if this happens to be in a folder that is excluded, bvckup2 won't learn about it until it actually scans the source.

That said, bvckup2 should count only non-empty runs when expanding %RUN#x% - I will see that we have this fixed in the next maintenance release. Good catch, thanks!

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms