The support forum

Device I/O Error

Rexx :

Nov 25, 2018

Hi Guys, been using Bvckup2 for several years now, works flawlessly on internal drives or my Drobo's, but for several months I can no longer use it on external USB drives. Currently looking to another program as all my troubleshooting has failed to resolve the problem which is a huge stress. BVCkup 2 seems to kick the USB drive off the computer, sometimes it remounts itself, other times i have to power it off and power it up again, sometimes the backups resume but most of the time BVCkup 2 becomes unresponsive so i ctrl-alt-delete it off so the backups never finish.After ctrl-alt delete, i cannot re-luanch bvckup again.  I have tried different drives in the external case and also different cables (the blue ones with the taller chunky connector at one end). I also have a second external case and that made no difference. Using Windows 10 Pro. It is used to back up my Lightroom catalog and Photo library. Once i just re-formatted my system drive and re-installed windows, that fixed the problem for one backup only, but subsequent backups then were doing the same thing. ANy advice appreciated.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 26, 2018

BVCkup 2 seems to kick the USB drive off the computer

This quite unambiguously points at a problem with the drive and/or your USB pipeline.

BVCkup 2 becomes unresponsive

What are the symptoms exactly? If the UI remains "clickable", but you can't cancel or stop a running backup, then it's 100% an issue with the drive. It basically means that Bvckup's requests to Windows to cancel outstanding read/write requests get stuck in the kernel, which in turn means that the drive is not behaving as it should be.

I have tried different drives in the external case and also different cables (the blue ones with the taller chunky connector at one end). I also have a second external case and that made no difference.

Yeah, that's the drive. You may want to look at it with SMART diagnostic tools and run the surface scan, but given the symptoms I'd say the drive is nearly dead.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms