The support forum

Rename Detection Not Working

ryanborstelmann :

Nov 26, 2018

Scenario:
I have two servers backed up to one another via Bvckup2. 60TB, about 40k files.

I renamed a couple thousand of the files by appending a few characters on the end of the name using Bulk Rename Utility. This caused the modifiedTime to change (per Windows Explorer, at least).

Bvckup2 is now saying that it must copy *all* of the renamed files. I actually found out about it once I ran it without simulating and it deleted nearly a TB of data before I noticed :)

Is there a way I can force Bvckup2 to ignore both name AND timestamp when considering if a file needs to be re-copied? The filesizes and parent folder names are exactly the same.

It'll take nearly a month to copy all this data again, so I hope it doesn't need to come to that. Thanks for your help!

Ryan

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 28, 2018

Is there a way I can force Bvckup2 to ignore both name AND timestamp when considering if a file needs to be re-copied?

If last-modified time was touched, then - no, there's no way.

Bvckup has no way of knowing if these timestamp changes are superficial, so it will want to update backup copies and there's no way to suppress this (mostly because there was never any need to support this sort of scenario).

Your best workaround would probably be to use some sort PowerShell script to change last-modified times on source copies to match those on their backup counterparts, or vice verse.

PS. Are source and backup copies exactly the same right now?

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms