The support forum

Difficult question to ask will try

ng4ever :

Dec 22, 2018

I will try my best on how to ask this. Is there anyway to keep Bvckup2 in sync when I go back a image with Macrium Reflect?

Every time I go back a image it messes up Bvckup 2 sometimes. Thanks.

Maybe I am not looking at this problem the right way again ?

Thanks.

Hope you know what I mean. If not I will try to reexplain it.

Froggie :

Dec 22, 2018

If you're replicating files contained in a System image, you will always have issues when reverting that image to a point in time... any changed files since your last replication will be OLDER.  This will cause Bvckup to adjust the backup archive accordingly.  It's a bit of a hazard when using both types of applications on the same DATA.

DATA that's important to me (not app configurations, etc. but real DATA) I keep on a separate volume and I back it up with Bvckup.  The stuff on my Windows OS volume (apps, configs, registry settings) I manage with my imaging software (Reflect).  If I really need one of those "special" files in an image, I just MOUNT the image as a separate volume and copy what's needed.  That operation is rare, though, due to the bulk of my DATA being on another volume.

Windows allows you to set up special LINKs to alternate places for Documents, Music, Videos, etc. so they they may be managed elsewhere rather than the OS volume... that's what I do.

Froggie :

Dec 22, 2018

Also, any "changes" made to special configurations (Bvckup's INI files, etc.) get lost when they've been made since your last System image and you do a restoration to that image.  You need to think these locations out carefully when planning the management of your volumes and their DATA.

ng4ever :

Dec 22, 2018

That is not what I am talking about sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't use Macrium Reflect on my Data at all. Only my OS and Application drive.

ng4ever :

Dec 22, 2018

Basically what I mean is Bvckup 2 says missed scheduled task when I go back a Macrium Reflect image for my Data drive and it messes up the recorded size Bvckup 2 has for the E Data Drive and F Backup Data drive becomes mismatched in free or used space.

ng4ever :

Dec 22, 2018

I still don't think I explained myself well enough :(

Froggie :

Dec 22, 2018

I'm only guessing here but I believe Bvckup's SETTINGs and INI files and history can easily be relocated to your DATA drive.  From there, you can replicate them via Bvckup and any REFLECT restoration should not mangle up your Bvckup status other than any SOURCE files themselves being different after the restoration.

I'll let Alex explain it more clearly... when he shows up, that is  :-)  (it's the weekend after all)

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 24, 2018

From what I understand, Froggie pretty much nailed it - bvckup's configuration is stored in the user's profile, which by default sits on the system drive. If you are to roll back this drive to an earlier image, you end up feeding an older config to bvckup - including stale and now-invalid state of delta copying, most likely invalid snapshot of the backup folder index, etc.

In fact, that stale index snapshot is probably what's causing your source/backup discrepancies.

So the thing to do would be to move bvckup's configuration folder off the system drive and onto your data drive. There are several ways to do this, see this topic for details - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/480/2837

Alternatively, you can change your "Backup Settings" > "Detecting Changes" to "Re-scan", but this won't solve the issue of delta copying state getting stale with every system drive reimage.

ng4ever :

Dec 24, 2018

Thank you everyone!

ng4ever :

Dec 24, 2018

Alex I went to the link https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/480/2837 but don't understand it exactly :( Sorry.

I need a little help with how to exactly do it.

Thanks.

If you can't help until after Christmas it is ok. Thanks again.

ng4ever :

Dec 26, 2018

Wish there was a better way to do this :(

So it prevents this from happening.

Homer712 :

Dec 26, 2018

ng4ever, here's what I do to prevent this issue (if I understand correctly you're trying to prevent). Those of us that suffered through the latest MS October "feature" update ended up re-imaging multiple times.

First, set the option in bvckup 2 that stops any backup from happening for 5 minutes after any startup. With that set, you should have enough time after a re image/boot to "disable" all scheduled backups. Then, from the existing bvckup 2 backups, copy any files now missing on the newly re-imaged drive back to the proper locations and you're done. To identify what's now missing from the re-imaged drive I use a program called Beyond Compare. Point one side to the bvckup 2 backup and the other side to the location where the files should be located and it instantly shows what files are missing in the selected locations. It can then even copy them over for you.

I suspect a much simpler method would be for there to be an option in bvckup 2 that states "if any scheduled backup is more than 24 hours old, do nothing, ask for user input", but until/if that's ever available, the above method works for me.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 28, 2018

Wish there was a better way to do this :(

I don't understand what you mean by a "better way".

So far you haven't actually confirmed if Froggie's and mine understanding of your concerns was correct, so I still don't know what the exact issue is.

ng4ever :

Dec 28, 2018

Yes Froggie and your concerns are correct sorry.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint
Legal Terms