The support forum

Error: the media is write-protected

cwallis :

Jan 30, 2019

Hi

Just discovered an issue thats been happening since last Windows 10 upgrade, to version 1809.

The scan of the source is failing and the log contains:

Type: internal
                 Scan action: ignore
             C:\Users\me\OneDrive
                Error: the media is write-protected
                     FindFirstFileEx() failed with 19
                     Context: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy36\Users\me\OneDrive\
            Error: source scan failed
        Removing VSS snapshot...
             Completed in 2.08 sec
     Completed in 12 sec with 2 errors

Any ideas why or how to fix?

Cheers
C

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 30, 2019

There are no known issues of this kind with 1809 per se, and judging by how ludicrously out of context the error is, that's almost certainly your antivirus acting up.

cwallis :

Jan 30, 2019

I run Norton Security and malwarbytes.  Have turn off both and still get the same error.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 30, 2019

This error does not come from Windows (because it makes no sense),
so it comes from a 3rd party software, and since there's Norton in the picture, it _is_ most likely Norton.

This disaster of an antivirus is a reliable source of weird errors. It messes up a system like nothing else, and its switch-off option is akin to those placebo "close the doors" buttons in elevators - it just doesn't do what it says it will.

You will need to try and whitelist bvckup2.exe instead, see if it helps.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 30, 2019

Hmm... on a second thought, this might be an OneDrive bug. There was a massive rework of how it works in recent W10 updates (1809 included) and there's a fair change that's the cause.

Googling on the subject brings up other cases when an attempt to read OneDrive folder from a volume snapshot failed with "media is write-protected" errors.

One suggestion that appears to be working is disabling "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive. Perhaps give this a try, see if it helps?

cwallis :

Jan 30, 2019

Hi Alex

It's fixed!  It appears Norton was not the problem.

I have disabled "Files on Demand" on OnDrive as you suggested and I no longer get the error.  Bvckup 2 kept going and completed successfully.

Werid thing is I don't use OneDrive but it appears to have been installed after the last set of updates from Windows somehow.

Thanks for your help as always.

Cheers
C

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials