The support forum

Bvckup 2 didn't honor the exclude rules.

Dex :

May 02, 2019

I just ran a job with exclusions and Bvckup did not honor any of my excluded files.  I double checked and exclude settings are intact and are the way I left them.  What could  have triggered this?  This job ran fine for weeks.   The only thing I did out of the ordinary was just prior to this event, I did disable all the rules for maintenance and then I re-enabled them.  After which, the job ran over writing all the excluded files.  What could have caused this?  Quite frustrating.  

Dex :

May 02, 2019

I wanted to add, subsequent runs of the job honor the exclude settings, but the damage is done.

Alex Pankratov :

May 02, 2019

You will need to elaborate on the details for me to say anything specific, including what "the rules for maintenance" are.

Also please skim through https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/972, which explains how exclusion/inclusion rules work and, in particular, what exclusion rules for _folders_ do.

Dex :

May 02, 2019

In re-reading my initial post, I wanted to clarify that prior to this occurrence I had disabled all "jobs" for some maintenance.  The exclude rules themselves were never adjusted.

The exclude rules I am referring to are Verbose rules.  The exclude/include the following items in the middle panel of the What to backup window.  I have a mix of excluded folders and excluded individual files defined.  All were ignored and overwritten.  

The article you referred to outlines methods for overriding/ignoring those rules, but the methods all refer to command line arguments.  I have only ever used the GUI.  I do not have any scheduled tasks, batch files, or anything that would pass a command line argument to Bvckup 2.  Is there any possible method to instruct a job to run with the What to backup rules ignored using only the GUI?

Also, I want to add that I do not have any other backup software or routines running in my environment.  I use Bvckup 2 exclusively.  

Alex Pankratov :

May 03, 2019

I have a mix of excluded folders and excluded individual files defined.  All were ignored and overwritten.  

Again, without knowing the specifics it's hard to say anything definitive.

There are no known issues of the kind you are describing and never been. There is nothing in the scanning or planning modules that would make them flip-flop randomly between respecting and ignoring any exclusion/inclusion rules.

Also, at our current scale an issue this noticeable would've surfaced long time ago, so this makes me think it's an operational or environmental hiccup of some kind.

In situations like this, the first thing to do is always to look at the logs. You have one run that is nominal, another that is not. Check if there are any errors, compare the "Scanning source" sections.

If your backup uses destination snapshots (Backup Settings > Detecting Changes), then check if the weird run perhaps shows that the destination snapshot was discarded. This forces the backup location to be re-scanned afresh and pick up any changes that might've accidentally slipped into it between the runs.

Two things will cause a snapshot to be discarded - running the job manually via Ctrl-Go and running into an inconsistency in the backup state on the previous run (e.g. it's trying to update a file, but the file doesn't exist... this sort of thing).

Basically, that run was somehow different from the others. The first thing to do is to understand why and the way to do it is by analyzing the logs.

Is there any possible method to instruct a job to run with the What to backup rules ignored using only the GUI?

No, there's none.

Dex :

May 03, 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

I am curious what you mean regarding "Ctrl-Go."  I do recall clicking the Go button in an attempt to re-enable all the jobs when my maintenance was finished.  But it didn't seem to do anything.  I then highlighted all the jobs, enabled them via the right-click menu, and then they ran. This I believe is when the data was over written.

When you say "Ctrl-Go" do you mean holding the Control keyboard key then click Go?  Or do you mean just clicking Go by itself?

In either circumstance, why would discarding a snapshot cause the exclude rules to be ignored?

Alex Pankratov :

May 03, 2019

Ctrl-Go means clicking on the Go button while holding Ctrl down. This causes the program to discard all and any cached data and then re-query it all from scratch.

That said, discarding a snapshot for a job won't affect what files are picked for backup at _source_, you are correct there. It might be instead some sort of conflict between two backups configured to use the same destination folder, but different rules, and you accidentally running the wrong one somehow.

If you had backup copies overwritten and if it was bvckup2 that did that, there will be a record of that in the logs. So if you want to understand what happened, the first thing to do is to look at the logs and find that record, then go from there.

This is however almost certainly an operational or a misconfiguration issue. As I've said before, there are no cases when exclude rules are not observed.

(Edited for clarity)

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Blog / RSS
Social Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
Company
Imprint