The support forum

Multiple destinations for each job

Deipotent :

Sep 28, 2013

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be useful to be able to specify multiple destinations for jobs. I know this could be achieved by mutiple jobs, but that seems like a messy solution when all settings are the same apart from destination.

It would also give Bvckup a chance to optimise the backup job, where/if possible (eg. reading source only once for all dests).

Alex Pankratov :

Sep 30, 2013

Noted. Can't promise I'll do it for the mainstream version, but I am considering some sort of "professional" edition and it might fit well there.

patwillette :

Oct 02, 2013

I think Deipotent's idea a good one but for the "professional" edition. I work a managed Helpdesk for almost 800 companys across the USA. Often they are too cheap to but a Raid card and this could be a good solution for that. Also could be used to have a local backup and one over a WAN link, say at a data storage facility.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

@patwillette - Wouldn't it be simpler to set up two separate backups instead? I mean that when there is more than one destination and one of them starts giving trouble, it's probably clearer to have its errors aggregated and reported separately, no?

patwillette :

Oct 03, 2013

that too is a good point which I do see, much easier to mange.

patwillette :

Oct 03, 2013

I should say to manage if something goes wrong

Tomi :

Dec 27, 2014

I'm backing up my  work files to two separate hard drives. I've currently got two backups doing the same thing, except for the destination. This means that the app takes an identical snapshot of the source twice. It would be handier and quicker if it could use the same snapshot for both destinations. My vote for multiple destinations.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 29, 2014

Duly noted. Thanks, Tomi. The main issue with this option is that it adds quite a bit of complexity both to the UI and to the engine and doesn't really offer much in return. There *is* a potential for speeding things up, granted, but on the other hand it replaces dead simple 1-to-1 model with 1-to-many and I'm not convinced that this trade off is worth it.

Tomi :

Jan 04, 2015

OK, thanks Alex. Upon further reflection, recycling the source snapshot for two backups would only  save about one quarter of the time it takes for the app to take all snapshots. Not a huge saving there.

JC :

Jan 15, 2015

What I've setup is two backup jobs to achieve this.

The first backup job works as normal, location A mirrors to location B
The second backup job, instead of mirroring location A again with C, instead mirrors location B with location C.

Cuts down on the reads on Location A.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms