The support forum

It seems Bvckup does not connect to network location after these became available

LK1 :

Jun 22, 2019

When a network location that was at first not available becomes available again, it seems the only way to have Bvckup connect to the netword location agains is to exit an restart to have Bvckup working the backup again.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 22, 2019

If you mean that the program doesn't understand if a share went offline, then there was a change in 79.20 that reworked this specific part -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1060/6389

What program version are you seeing this with?

Edit

This change is concerned with mapped drives only. Network shares (using explicit network paths) are not regularly checked unless they are offline. If the share sneaks back offline and a job is due, the job will be run, it will fail and only then the program will start again monitoring the share for connectivity.

What's your case exactly and what are you expecting to be happening?

Klaas :

Jun 27, 2019

Thank you Alex. I am using the latest version (80.1).
Bvckup is always up and running.
I have a cloud storage, to which I connect via a VPN connection (a TAP-Windows AdapterV9). If, for some reason or another, the VPN connection is not available, Bvckup displays message "waiting for network location".  So far so good.

However, when, with reconnecting VPN, the network location becomes available again, and Bvckup keeps displaying the same message "waiting for network location", where I would expect Bvckup to run the backup as this is set to run soon as this is possible, i.e. when the network location is available again. Against expectation, it does not run the backup until I close and restart Bvckup.

(Then it even automatically runs backups that should wait for a manual Go command, but that is another issue.)

Klaas :

Jun 27, 2019

Using version 80.1, Professional/Legacy.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 27, 2019

For shares that are not accessible the program sets up periodic monitoring whereby it will try and query share's properties every 5 seconds. Once the query succeeds, the job will be taken out of "waiting for network location" state.

What you are describing is not normal. It basically means that bvckup's attempts to check the status of a share after VPN is reconnected are failed by the OS. This works as expected for non-VPN connections. It also works for Cisco VPN connections and OpenVPN ones, so I would guess it has to do with the type of VPN client you are using in your setup.

I can take a look at your log if you'd like. At the very least you will know how exactly the liveliness check fails. Send me an email at support@pipemetrics.com.

(Then it even automatically runs backups that should wait for a manual Go command, but that is another issue.)

I am not aware of any issues of this kind.

Klaas :

Jun 27, 2019

Thank you Alex, I am sorry to have bothered you with this; when making a video of its behavior I can not reproduce the supposed issue. Please remove this topic.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 27, 2019

Ok, thanks for the follow-up.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials