The support forum

Archiving issue

Arbie :

Oct 09, 2019

[ Moved here from https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/499/6766 ]

FYI -
Using my method and setting "Archive backup copies of deleted items", I was finding several files in the destination that were no longer in the source and had not been moved to the destination "$Archive (Bvckup 2)" folder.  Although there were some older files in that folder.  Re-running the job copied new source files over, but those old files seemed stuck.

When I switched to your method of setting the pattern, things worked as expected:  all destination files not still found in the source were immediately moved to Archive.

Now, I may have confused things by changing a filename manually in the destination ... not sure... but it would probably only have been one.

So, just an FYI.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 09, 2019

Archiving doesn't depend on the exclude/include setup in the slightest. All it does is it substitutes all "delete" steps with "move to $archive".

Meaning that the discrepancy in behavior you saw was due to what the program perceived in a need of deletion. That in turn depends strictly on the differences between source and destination trees as seen by the program (which _is_ a subject to exclusion/inclusion rules).

When your backup gets out of sync with the source, it's invariably due to using destination snapshot option and making manual changes to the backup tree. (Using a snapshot forces the program to cache destination file index between the runs and to *not* scan destination on all runs except for the very first one).

Then, when you changed the excl/incl rules, it forced the re-scan, so the destination tree was rebuild afresh and picked up whatever discrepancies.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy