The support forum

Beta Release 37

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

New features

Added "Start minimized" option to the Preferences -- by popular request
https://bvckup2.com/wip/03102013

Added mini-help explaining Shadow Copying, Symlinks, etc. -- thanks again for your help, everyone
https://bvckup2.com/wip/02102013

Issues resolved

Fixed hang in the installer caused by clicking on the "Browse" button -- apparently Windows' native widget for folder selector will bluntly hang if one initializes COM the wrong way.

Fixed an issue with delta copier error logging -- corrupted delta state file was bringing the program down; it recognized the problem, but then crashed when trying to log it.

Other changes

Reworked "Comparing" section of the backup configuration

Reworked "Copying" section of the backup configuration

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

And as per usual - it's just one more release before public beta :)

Deipotent :

Oct 03, 2013

If you can think of any gaping holes or vital missing features that I'd better put in before inviting 2000+ people over, let me know.

- Some of the logged error messages aren't particularly user friendly, which will probably result in a lot of support messages asking what the error actually means. More descriptive/user friendly error messages would save you a lot of support requests.

- Mentioned it in an email about the  crc error message being changed to a warning instead. It's worth going through all errors to see if they are actually critical. Only errors that stop a backup from completing should be considered critical; all others should be warnings.

- I mentioned before that Open log in Notepad... should open in default text editor and think you gave a reason why it uses Notepad, but I can't find the discussion now. I would still prefer it to open in the default text editor, unless you remind of the good reason why it shouldn't ;)

- Add search functionality to this forum to make finding previous information easier. :)

- Log panel: Allow log lines to be multi-selected (Ctrl+Left Click, Shift+Left Click, Ctrl+A) and add right-click context menu with Copy and Select All, so user can select several lines and copy them to clipboard, for easy reporting of specific issues.

- All my VSS issues were related to RAMDisk software, whose driver interfered with VSS. It might be worth mentioning somewhere (Help/Forum/VSS tooltip) about possible conflicts with VSS. I used to hate VSS and think it was unreliable, but it's now working flawlessly (touch wood).

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

Thanks. Point by point -

- Some of the logged error messages ...

Most common errors have custom wording, e.g. Access denied, File locked, File not found, etc. Several peculiar ones relating to obscure VSS failures are also given special treatment. For the rest I think it's better to keep error codes numerical, because their Windows' translation to the human speak is frequently odd or confusing. If you have any particular errors in a specific context in mind - let me know, I will add them.

- Mentioned it in an email about the  crc error message ...

I agree in principle, but I won't make this change before the release.

- I mentioned before that Open log in Notepad ...

Not everyone has .log extension associated with anything and others may have it associated with some binary log viewer. I will add an option to change this through the UI a bit later on, but right now it already can be changed with an .ini edit.

- Add search functionality to this forum ...

Noted. The whole forum should get quickly indexed by Google & Co. once the beta goes public (though I need to check if _escaped_fragment_ contraption is working).

- Log panel: Allow log lines to be multi-selected ...

Yup, agreed, this may come handy.

- All my VSS issues were related to RAMDisk software ...

I already have a very specific warning when trying to use VSS on TrueCrypt volumes and I can *easily* add another one for the RAMDisk if you give me the criteria.

Deipotent :

Oct 03, 2013

can be changed with an .ini edit

What's the setting ?

*easily* add another one for the RAMDisk if you give me the criteria.

The criteria was just that it was installed. Can't remember if you actually had to have a RAMDisk mounted. The issue was not caused by trying to use the RAMDisk as src or dst for backup job.

Maybe a generic warning that virtual drive software (eg. Truecrypt, RAMDisk, Virtual CD/DVD/Bluray) may cause VSS issues.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

What's the setting ?

Add "log_viewer_command <your-viewer-exe>" to %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\ui\bvckup2-ui.ini. It also reads "log_viewer_name <menu-item-name>", but doesn't actually use it, so the menu item always shows "Open in Notepad...".

Maybe a generic warning that virtual drive software (eg. Truecrypt, RAMDisk, Virtual CD/DVD/Bluray) may cause VSS issues.

Not the case with TC. It's just that you can't use VSS on mounted TC volume (because VSS SDK is not available under GPL-compatible license).

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2013

This one - http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk ?

Deipotent :

Oct 03, 2013

This one - http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk ?

Nope. SoftPerfect RAMDisk http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms