The support forum

Access denied

mastershakes :

Nov 09, 2019

After updating to 80.6.1 I have 2 jobs that are failing both involve my d: drive.  One of the jobs the d: drive is used as a source ("Scan of source location failed") and the other as a destination ("Destination access denied").  

I am using Bvckup2 in service mode.  If I switch to desktop mode both jobs run fine.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2019

"Access denied" means what it says - the bvckup2 process was denied an access to whatever it was trying to access. The cause for this is external to the program. If it happened after an update, you'd probably want to check any security software that might be running on the machine.

mastershakes :

Nov 11, 2019

I ran it with malwarebytes and defender turned off - same results.  

How come it runs fine in desktop mode? It seems to be a credential issue with the service account.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 11, 2019

Hmm... I think you might be right on the money.

Check if the "Bvckup 2 Service" user account is still a member of "Local Administrators" (S-1-5-32-544) and "Backup Operators" (S-1-5-32-551) groups. Chances are that they were dropped for either (or both), which would explain the errors.

If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll explain.

mastershakes :

Nov 11, 2019

I checked with LUSRMGR and the Bvckup 2 Service is a member of both.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2019

Nothing I can readily think of, no. Also, there are no other reports of this sort and given the scale of our installation base I'd expect us to see at least some by now. Chances are that this is something specific to your setup.

One way to troubleshoot this would be to find the latest earlier version that works.

Another is to try setting up a temp backup for some other D:\ locations and see if it'd work or not. If you see, for example, that the program cannot back up from the root of D:\ with "access denied", then it's almost 100% due to interference of security software. Even the least privileged service will have a _read_ access to _local_ drives.

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

I know it doesn't make any sense.

I tried searching for older versions... specifically 80.5.  That was the latest version that worked for me.

Thanks.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2019

https://bvckup2.com/[ redacted ]
Make sure version number includes the trailing ".0"

* Whoops, forget "-setup-" in the file name.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2019

Just to clarify - you tried switching back and forth between desktop and service modes and it reliably was OK in the former and restricted in the latter?

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

Thanks but I'm getting a "not found" for the link.

I just now switched back to desktop mode and the jobs are running.  I have a screenshot of it if you would like.  I don't see a way to attach here.  I did revert back to 80.6 so I am getting the "SetFileValidData()" error again.

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

Oh I just saw your no setup in the name --- will try again.

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

Sorry finally got it.  

https://bvckup2.com/[ redacted ]

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

Damn - I wish I could delete a post.  My link is wrong above but then after I figured it out I saw your edit.  We are cross posting.  I will slow down. :)

mastershakes :

Nov 12, 2019

OK.  I downgraded and that did not fix it.  I rebooted same results.

I created a job in SyncBackPro (reading from d: and writing to c:) and it worked fine.  It runs in desktop mode though.

Something must have changed with my PC/Windows.  Its the weirdest thing.   I did not install any additional AV or any other software.  Some windows updates did install.  Maybe Microsoft fiddled with some stuff.  I know they broke printers for a lot of people with one their latest updates.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 12, 2019

Weird indeed. It might be a good time to try the good old "uninstalling / rebooting / reinstalling" trick.

mastershakes :

Nov 15, 2019

Update::
It definitely had something to do with a Windows update.   KB4524570 was just installed now and now I can backup using service mode.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy