The support forum

Beta Release 38

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 04, 2013

New feature - "waiting for device" state

1. Added device monitoring to manual and periodic backups -- previously a backup had the "waiting for source/destination device" state only if it used device tracking. Now it's unconditional. If you configure backup to go to Z:\Backup and Z: is not present, the backup will sit in "Waiting for destination device" state until Z: appears. It still can be forced to run by clicking Go if needed, though that wouldn't make much sense.

New feature - "missed a backup run" error

Added "missed a backup run" state to periodic backups -- another useful addition. When a periodic backup doesn't manage to run when it's due, the app puts it into an error state with "missed a run" reason, which is a considered a critical error and it triggers the systray alert.

New feature - missed backup handling

A backup run may be missed for two common reasons -

(a) the app itself wasn't running when the backup was due
(b) backup device is a removable and it wasn't present

In latter case, the backup will be in "waiting for device / missed a backup" state, so the question is what the app should do when said device appears. This is now controlled by a dedicated preference -

(A) The backup can be run either right away, to "catch up"
(B) The backup can wait until next scheduled time and run then

The option is accessible via "Edit details" in "Backup when" section of the backup config and it looks like this - https://bvckup2.com/wip/04102013

Issues resolved

1. Fixed an issue with service not starting on boot -- this was introduced in BR33 together with the licensing support. Bvckup2 service will simply not start after a reboot even though it is set to Automatic. This was due to the licensing module using WMI to query some system information and WMI is provided by Winmgmt service, which in turn may or may have been started when Bvckup2 service is initializing. In other words, it's a service dependency issue and it is now solved by making Bvckup2 service dependent on Winmgmt.

2. Fixed an issue with custom log viewer name being ignored -- you can now replace Notepad with a custom program to view backup logs. This requires shutting down the app and adding these two lines to %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\ui\bvckup2-ui.ini

log_viewer_command   wordpad.exe
    log_viewer_name   Wordpad

And this will cause the "Log Options" menu in the log pane to show "Open in Wordpad..." menu item and launch "wordpad.exe <backup-log>" when it is selected.

Other changes

Removed "minimize to tray" from the Preferences -- I just don't see anyone wanting to minimize long-running program such as Bvckup into the taskbar rather than the systray.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 04, 2013

@Jadag - Tony, I'm thinking how to better add support for saving/loading app's config. I haven't forgot, I'm just considering various options.

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

After updating from 37 to 38, the GUI ini file has the last_version pref set to 0.38.0.0, while the service ini file has it set to 0.37.0.0.

Shouldn't the service pref also be set to 0.38.0.0 ?

(A) The backup can be run either right away, to "catch up"

(B) The backup can wait until next scheduled time and run then

Thanks for adding this, but I was hoping the option could also apply to real-time backups (ie. it was a job related option, rather than periodic backups only). The option allows the user to decide whether to keep old/default behaviour, or have new (A) behaviour.

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

BR38 still includes the message "You got RAID... Very nice!". Reporting, in case you didn't want it in final release.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 04, 2013

Shouldn't the service pref also be set to 0.38.0.0 ?

last_version is kept in bvckup2.ini, but it is used only by the UI, so that's cosmetic issue.

apply to real-time backups

For the real-time backups they should run right away regardless if there are unprocessed changes. If this doesn't happen, it's a bug (and apparently I wasn't listening to you closely).

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 04, 2013

BR38 still includes the message "You got RAID... Very nice!". Reporting, in case you didn't want it in final release.

It's a good message, why remove it? :) Though it should only be displayed once. If you've seen it more than once in a scope of a single install, let me know, it'd be a bug.

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

For the real-time backups they should run right away regardless if there are unprocessed changes. If this doesn't happen, it's a bug (and apparently I wasn't listening to you closely).

You're right. I hadn't actually tested the new version behaviour. real-time backups with changes are indeed run immediately on device arrival.

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

Tooltips proofread...

Move / Rename detection: "the" before "...source location..."

Symlinks & junctions: "the" before "...source location..."
"For external references Bvckup" - comma after "references"

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

I have dest formatted as exFAT, with modified granularity of 2 secs, and noticed that on every run it was "Adjusting timestamps of new and modified folders..." of a folder, even though the folder (inc. timestamp) hadn't changed on the source.

Source folder has modified date of which is 1 seconds less than dest timestamp (due to file system granularity).

Is this to be expected, or should Bvckup know that it hasn't changed and not adjust the timestamp ?

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

When a SoftPerfect RAMDisk with hard disk emulation enabled is (un)mounted with the Bvckup GUI open, the whole Bvckup window flickers like mad. On one occasion when testing, the Go button disappeared, but was redrawn on mouse over.

It only happens when hard disk emulation is enabled for the RAMDisk.

Not sure if it's just a problem with my flaky system (HDD's and graphics card are starting to fail :) ); a problem with SoftPerfect RAMDisk, Bvckup, or something else.

Event viewer window flickers a bit as well during (un)mount.

scribbly :

Oct 04, 2013

Concerning the "New feature - missed backup handling", without actually using, I was thinking that the "(A) The backup can be run either right away, to "catch up" option would benefit with a "Cancel|Skip|Postpone" prompt when the device is detected... in case you didn't want to do it at this particular second.

Deipotent :

Oct 04, 2013

Just had a BSOD which triggered a RAID verify + repair. After the PC rebooted (slower than normal due to the RAID verify) Bvckup complained that it was not licenced, even though there was a .lic file in the service folder. After manually restarting the service, it said it was licenced.

It's possible the heavy disk access caused issues with the licencing code.

timmib :

Oct 04, 2013

Greetings,

Upgraded from v22.  Let the app do the upgrade and licensing automatically.  Seemed to work just fine.  Noticed that I can not stop a job.  Specifically, I had five jobs backing up one hard disk to another.  When completed I put v22 away and moved the drive.  Hence, when I brought v22 up it showed destination error.  OK.  Would not stop waiting for destination even when clicked stop button.  Upgraded to v38, same behavior.

My expectation was that on clicking the stop button, the app would stop polling for a destination drive.  In a more active setting I would expect the app to honor the state that existed when I shut it down.  In this case I had stopped all five jobs when I shut v22 down some weeks ago, and again today when I started it just before upgrading.  Thinking about this, it would be nice to have a 'stop all' button for cases when major system changes have caused drive and directory changes.

I'll try to check back here regularly as the 'watch' function does not seem to be working.

Be well,

Kim

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 05, 2013

@Deipotent -

Tooltips proofread...

Thanks.

I have dest formatted as exFAT, with modified granularity of 2 secs, and noticed that on every run it was "Adjusting timestamps of new and modified folders..." of a folder, even though the folder (inc. timestamp) hadn't changed on the source.

Let me reproduce this, but it looks like a good catch.

When a SoftPerfect RAMDisk with hard disk emulation enabled is (un)mounted with the Bvckup GUI open, the whole Bvckup window flickers like mad.

Do any other apps exhibit this behavior? Something like Wordpad, for example. Event viewer doesn't count, because it always flickers :)

Just had a BSOD which triggered a RAID verify + repair. After the PC rebooted (slower than normal due to the RAID verify) Bvckup complained that it was not licenced, even though there was a .lic file in the service folder.

This was because bvckup had to be switched to the app mode and then back to the service mode after upgrading to BR38. This re-installs the Bvckup service and makes it dependent on the Winmgmt service (see top post in this thread as to why this is needed). I completely forgot to mention that this re-switch is needed.

@scribbly -

Cancel|Skip|Postpone

Noted, thanks. Though I've gotta say that I am not a big fan of chatty UIs. Also, "postpone" comes with its own can of worms - postpone for how long, how to un-postpone, how to cancel postponement, how to configure it, etc - this adds a lot of extra to the UI, but benefit very few users.

@timmib -

Noticed that I can not stop a job. [snip] Would not stop waiting for destination even when clicked stop button.  Upgraded to v38, same behavior.

Clicking on Stop for a job that's idle (not running) should unconditionally disable it. Kim, can you confirm that clicking on Stop in your case had no effect on the jobs? This is very strange.

Deipotent :

Oct 05, 2013

Do any other apps exhibit this behavior? Something like Wordpad, for example. Event viewer doesn't count, because it always flickers :)

It's not happening now. Probably due to my flaky graphics card.

This was because bvckup had to be switched to the app mode and then back to the service mode

Problem gone after doing this. :)

Deipotent :

Oct 05, 2013

When switching modes, the tray icon starts flashing after the switch and doesn't stop until you click on it. NOTE: If switching from app to service mode, you have to close the GUI before clicking on the tray icon to open the GUI when the notification is displayed. Otherwise the tray icon just keeps flashing and clicking on it does nothing. This is not a problem when going the other way.

This flashing tray icon seems unnecessary when the GUI is already open (and you've just manually performed the switch), so you should just display the notification at the bottom without flashing the tray icon.

Jadag :

Oct 06, 2013

Alex Pankratov: @Jadag - Tony, I'm thinking how to better add support for saving/loading app's config. I haven't forgot, I'm just considering various options.

Thanks Alex. I check for that feature at every upgrade : )))

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 06, 2013

This flashing tray icon seems unnecessary when the GUI is already open (and you've just manually performed the switch), so you should just display the notification at the bottom without flashing the tray icon.

I agree. Technical reason why it's flashing is that the UI is not a foreground window (so it doesn't know if it's visible or if it's obscured).

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 06, 2013

@Jadag - put > in front of the line to turn it into a quote, like so

Alex Pankratov: @Jadag - Tony, I'm thinking how to better ...

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy