The support forum

Using a different mail server per back-up job

Psychicactus :

Mar 18, 2020

Hi Alex,

Is there a way to have each back-up job send an email alert to a different set of sender/recipient/mail server?

I have a machine running two separate back-up jobs I just set up. Each is backing up a completely different set of data that belongs to a different organization.  Consequently I need each job to send an email alert to a different destination using a different sender and server.

I set up job 1, set up the email alerts for it, the test email came through, all good. Going into job 2's email alert settings, I noticed that the fields were already filled with job 1's email alert settings. I thought that was just an auto-fill thing for convenience so I changed it. Test email said it was successful but I am not finding it in the inbox. Went back into Job 1 just to double check and lo and behold the email alert settings are changed to job 2's. Changed it back because job 1's alerts are more critical right now. Test email says successful, but I am not finding it in that inbox either, after multiple attempts. Actually, as I write this, that job was running and failed due to an error, and no alert email arrived about it either. So not sure why, but now not receiving the emails.

Psychicactus :

Mar 18, 2020

A job that finished (actually, failed in this case) brought up the error:
2020.03.17 20:53:53.896 (UTC-5) 2 2         Sending email alert...
2020.03.17 20:53:54.534 (UTC-5) 0 3             Server certificate doesn't match its hostname

Checked again and bvckup2 says the test email has gone through, so not sure what is going on. It is not getting delivered though.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 18, 2020

Consequently I need each job to send an email alert to a different destination using a different sender and server.

Alert delivery configuration is done at the application, not per job. So what you want cannot be done.

Server certificate doesn't match its hostname

https://bvckup2.com/wip/03122015

Psychicactus :

Mar 19, 2020

Ok, I will check into that link.
Re multiple alerts, hmm, that's a pity. I was counting on the software serving this purpose and didn't think it wouldn't be able to to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love Bvckup2, but is there something that can be done about this? An override perhaps? I essentially need to be able to send an alert to a different recipient per job, I can manage if it all comes from the same sender.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 19, 2020

I don't think this belongs in the program. It's a niche feature that would require a lot of scaffolding to make alerts work "as expected" for both the common case and the marginal one.

Speaking more generally, this would basically require allowing certain features to be configured both at an engine and a job level. I've been through this before and it worked very poorly. It looked simple and logical in theory, but once it was implemented it only confused the hell out of things. It wasn't clear which settings came from which level and if it worked, it worked, but if things wedged sideways, it was a royal pain to troubleshoot that. The takeaway was to keep it simple - either make each setting global or make it job-specific.

Moreover, for this particular case a simpler solution is to set up a temp email account with a free email service and then use it to forward to route the alerts as required. A simple keyword-based forwarding rules will be enough. This will also automatically take care of your other question about storing email account password in the backup config. Using a temporary email account is also an answer to that concern.

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

Thank you for the detailed explanation. And that is a brilliant suggestion, I will create an email for this purpose.

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

PS. - Since the email alerts are configurable only globally and not per job, I'd like to suggest that they logically should not be configurable in each job's settings window. They should be in a global setting menu item from the top menu or something. As is, without further explanation, the user can be forgiven to think that each job keeps separate email alert sending settings. It is only because I am thorough and suspected something that I went back in and noticed that after setting the email settings for job 2, that job 1's email settings were changed to be identical. Someone else might have missed that.

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

Each job should just have a checkbox whether an email alert should be sent or not and on what kind of trigger. Email content and sending variables and anything global shouldn't be per job. That's my user logic anyways.
Thanks for the great work!

Psychicactus :

Mar 21, 2020

And I realize now that this is detailed here https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/473 but I believe the way it is set up in the app could me misleading because it looks self-explanatory, if you know what I mean? Anyways. Do what you like, I love the app. :)

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 22, 2020

Since the email alerts are configurable only globally and not per job, I'd like to suggest that they logically should not be configurable in each job's settings window.

I hear you, but on the other hand it should still be possible to configure them from there because the alternative will needlessly complicate the process.

Each job should just have a checkbox whether an email alert should be sent or not and on what kind of trigger. Email content and sending variables and anything global shouldn't be per job.

I agree.

Once the next release is out, I will make another pass over this. TBH I was never entirely happy with how many levels of nested dialogs one should go to have email alerts set up for the first time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Psychicactus :

Mar 25, 2020

Yes, simplifying that would be good, but it is not a big deal. Thanks for listening to user feedback. It is a unique experience to have a developer respond and implement changes so quickly.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy