The support forum

Waiting for Destination Device

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

I've been using Bvckup2 for several years with zero issues.  This morning I plugged my external hard drive into my PC as usual to do a manually initiated backup.  Bvckup2 says "Waiting for destination drive."  I unplugged the external drive, restarted the PC and got the same message.  I've made no software changes since last using Bvckup2 a couple of days ago.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Is there something I need to reset?

Froggie :

Mar 22, 2020

If you're selecting your external device by LETTER ASSIGNMENT (ie, D:\), your device may be mounting as a different drive letter.  If you're mselecting by DEVICE FINGERPRINT, the device is definitely not being seen by your System regardless of where what letter Windows is mounting the device on.

Possibly the device (dock?) is having issues...?

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

I can add more info to help figure out the problem.  I have two USB ports on my PC.  Until this morning, I always plugged the external drive into the same port.  This morning, I inadvertently plugged the drive into the port not used up to now; that's when I got the message about "Waiting for Destination Device."  I then removed the external drive and plugged it into the "usual" USB port; same error message about waiting for the destination drive.

I then took a second external drive, also used frequently and successfully with Bckup2.  I plugged this into the "usual" USB port and Bckup2 recognized it immediately and I backed up my files with no problem.

So my problem is confined to the first external drive, the one I inadvertently plugged into a different port this morning.  Suggestions?

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

Froggie:  Definitely not an issue with the USB port or cable.  Can you explain a bit more about your thought and what I should do?  Thanks.

Froggie :

Mar 22, 2020

Does Windows see the drive and if so what device letter has been assigned?  If it does, can you tell me what the setting is in your backup definition for "Backup to" when you press the StickPin next to that setting?

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

OK.  Fixed the problem based on Froggie's comment.  Apparently I fouled things up by plugging the external drive into a different port.  I right-clicked the section listing this backup plan and browsed until I found the external drive listed as a possible destination.  Bvckup recognized the drive.  Unfortunately, it appears I am completely rewriting all 100,000 files rather than updating them.  I've got a fast system so it will be done in a few minutes.  Lesson learned.

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

What does the StickPin do?

Froggie :

Mar 22, 2020

The StickPin setting allows you to select your backup destination by either LABEL or FINGERPRINT (unique device ID).  If you use one of these settings, Windows will not mess you up if the OS decides to mount your external device on some other LETTER (which it does from time to time).  FINGERPRINT would be best if you drive's hardware isn't changing for any reason.

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

Got it.  And thanks again.  I probably should have tried harder to understand the operations of Bvckup before choosing a few minutes ago to rewrite the info on the external drive.  I honestly thought once Bvckup recognized  the drive as I browsed to it, the process would be the normal updating, not a full re-write.

Froggie :

Mar 22, 2020

Because it was now going to a "different" lettered device, it has to assume unique ownership of the target folder and obliterate all that exists there... I'm sure it warned you before it did that  :-)

Genealogist48 :

Mar 22, 2020

Yeah, there was a message about "delta copying" or something similar.  I thought I chose the the correct option to keep what was already on the external drive but apparently not.  Many thanks for your responses.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 23, 2020

Thanks, Froggie :)

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials