The support forum

Versions

johnseers :

Apr 29, 2020

Hello

I have used the versioning option for some time now. I had reason to go and look at how it is done again and discovered some changes have crept in with the new releases that I was not aware of and leave me a bit unsure.

The way to switch on the versioning option is:
conf.archive_modified      1

This is now actioned by adding it to a file "override.ini".

Is this step still necessary? The reason I ask is that there is an "Archive" option in the UI where the archive can be trimmed. Is this sufficient to switch on the versioning?

I am guessing that if I switched off the versioning -(conf.archive_modified      0) - then the archive trimming option would not appear in the UI? Am I right in thinking this?  

I would quite like it if the versioning was just controlled in the UI. Also the options to detect when you connect a removable drive. (Basically I would like it if I never had to alter the application options file and it was all in the UI.)

Best regards. Great software.

Regards

John Seers

johnseers :

Apr 29, 2020

Thinking about this a bit more I think I might be confusing two features:

1. How to handle deleted items.
2. How to keep versions of files.

These overlap in that the Archive directory is used for both. Presumably the Archive trimming applies to deletions and versions?

Am I getting this right?

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 30, 2020

John,

Am I getting this right?

Yes, you are spot on.

The archive is used to keep backup copies of both deleted and modified files. Once they get into the archive, they are treated the same way. That is, there's no separate archive pruning logic for each type of file (deleted or modified).

Archive management _is_ configurable from the UI.

It is also possible to set up archiving of _deleted_ files from the UI.

It is NOT possible to do the same for _modified_ files. At the moment it can only be done with an override.

I would quite like it if the versioning was just controlled in the UI. Also the options to detect when you connect a removable drive. (Basically I would like it if I never had to alter the application options file and it was all in the UI.)

Proper UI support for the archival of modified files is coming, but it's tied to reworking how files are stored within the archive, so it's still some time away.

Ditto for configuring other options. I don't particularly like the override approach either... but it does serve as a natural selection filter, preventing people from messing with random settings just because it's possible :)

johnseers :

Apr 30, 2020

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials