The support forum

Destination Availability

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

Good morning, Alex!  Quick question... it appears that a job won't run until the  DESTINATION device is available, with the "job" including both the pre- and post- commands.  It doesn't look like I can easily execute a pre- command that deals with making the DESTINATION available within the job description.  Is there any way around this conundrum within Bvckup2?

Alex Pankratov :

May 10, 2020

Yes, there is. This is done with a help of two overrides -

conf.wait_for_src        0
        conf.wait_for_dst        0

See https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1140 for how to add an override.

* I'll have this added to the FAQ shortly.

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

Good morning, Alex!  With Bvckup2 not running, either providing the override.ini or making the changes directly in settings.ini, the job still gets "failed, destination device not found."

At the time of this test, the device is "discovered" by Windows but not mounted as of yet.

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

Running R81.1, BTW

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

Let me look a bit further... this looks like it may be a timing issue between the pre- job command to mount the device and the running of the actual job where the device is looked for.

I'll get back to you...

Alex Pankratov :

May 10, 2020

Yep, most likely a timing issue. You would probably want to add a pause after the mount command.

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

That appears to be the problem.  When I add a small TIMEOUT and a WAIT function to the mount BATCH file being run in the pre- operation, the job runs fine... a pain, but at least doable.

Any alternative suggestions, greatly accepted  :-)

Alex Pankratov :

May 10, 2020

You will need either a pause in your script or a loop that keeps looking for the drive to appear (using devcon.exe or similar tool). Mounting is an async operation, so the script needs to wait for its completion one way or another. No way around this.

Froggie :

May 10, 2020

Thanks!

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials