The support forum

Since Release 81: mouse pointer problem

fishmi :

May 25, 2020

Since the update to release 81 I have problems with my mouse pointer (Logitech Anywhere 2s with Unifying Receiver):
Every time a backup starts and files are copied, the mouse pointer does not move smoothly anymore.
"Run on lower priority is enabled.
Once the backup is complete, there are no more problems.

The Task Manager does not show a very high CPU usage at this moment (e.g. due to antimalware).
When I downgrade to version 80, the problem is hardly noticeable, so it is much less.

Alex Pankratov :

May 25, 2020

It's an USB issue. Re-plug either your mouse or your external drive it into a different USB port, ideally on a different USB hub. This should fix the underlying cause.

If you just want things to go back to how they were with R80, then go into Backup Settings > Processing and select "Execute one step at a time".

Froggie :

May 25, 2020

If you're using an external USB target device, it's definitely a USB driver issue.  I've had this very same issue with certain USB storage devices on an HP desktop ever since moving to Windows 10.  Windows 10 supply's its own USB driver series (incl. USB3).  When I run this same hardware under Windows 7 (which uses non-Microsoft USB drivers <Intel>), all runs just fine.  Intel does not offer Windows 10 drivers.

fishmi :

May 26, 2020

Thanks for your feedback, but that's not the right answer. This reminds me of the answers from Microsoft Support :-(
The answer must be: yes, let's see how we can solve the problem, because obviously the cause of the problem is our software.
Or am I misunderstanding something?
Also
1. I have no possibility to use another USB port, especially not an external USB hub (this is a laptop, a current model from this year)
2.  otherwise my mouse works perfectly
3. "Execute one step at a time" is always activated

Therefore I ask for constructive help.

fishmi :

May 26, 2020

Complementary:
I already know that the help was meant constructively, but it doesn't help me if a hardware is blamed for it, which otherwise works without any problems and has been doing so for a long time, I've had the Anywhere for a few years now.
And of course I meant :
"Run multiple backups" is disabled

fishmi :

May 26, 2020

My apologies:
Only now I understood that the option to switch to "xecute one step at a time" is in the Backup Prefrences and not in the general options. Let's see what it does.

fishmi :

May 26, 2020

Okay, that's the solution, thanks for the support.
But it's too bad I can't use the new feature.

fishmi :

May 26, 2020

Sorry I spoke too soon:
The problem still exists, especially when large files are copied to the NAS, then I can stop working, the mouse is no longer operable.
By the way, switching to a USB hub does not help at all, zero change.
What else did you change with the update?
Bvchup is my reference for backup software, there is no better alternative ((I have tried a lot in the last 15 years). To everyone I recommend this great program and now this crap.
Please have a look what is possible.
Thanks and sorry for all the contributions.

Alex Pankratov :

May 26, 2020

The underlying cause is an issue with USB driver. It cannot gracefully handle mouse events in a presence of bulk disk transfers.

The only bvckup2-specific workaround is to reduce the bulk transfer rate - switch on "run on a lower disk priority" in preferences and "execute one step at a time" in backup settings.

However the cause is with the USB driver (or the firmware). You will want to raise this issue with its vendor to have it resolved properly.

fishmi :

May 28, 2020

If someone has a similar problem:
I have now found settings for myself that largely solve the problem:
"Multiple Steps at once"
with the settings:
4 threads
Copy large files one at time

uptheante :

Jun 07, 2020

I have had the same problem for some time, and my solution was to disable Bvckup2, which was not a solution at all.
I have now found fishmi's suggestion, but the closest I can get is to tick (check) the 'Run on a lower system and disk priority' box and leave the 'Run multiple backups in parallel if needed' box unticked.
However,  I don't understand how either of these options affect the performance of my mouse pointer, which continues to run jerkily all over my desktop screen whem Bvckup2 is running.
Yours sincerley,
uptheante

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 07, 2020

I don't understand how either of these options affect the performance of my mouse pointer

Only indirectly. The issue is that the mouse and one of the drives in the backup use the same USB hub and its chip/driver runs into troubles forwarding mouse events when there's a lot of disk activity. If you reduce the volume of disk activity, it frees up some capacity to handle mouse events.

USB is a networking system. All devices connect to a bus line and then take turns sending data over it. In your case the driver/chip doesn't do a good job scheduling devices when the hub is running at its capacity. And it causes mouse events to be delayed or dropped altogether. Chances are that disk traffic is affected the same way, but the effects of this aren't immediately obvious.

This is an issue with the driver/chip, rather than with the USB itself. Hence the solution is to check for firmware/driver updates OR put conflicting devices on different USB hubs.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy