The support forum

Windows 10 update to 2004 release killed Bvckup2

MWCS :

Jun 10, 2020

I upgraded my laptop to the latest semi-annual W10 release overnight, and this morning when I opened Bvckup2, first it told me it was set to run as a service with no service entry, it was unlicensed and had no backups defined.  The first two were easy to fix - I set it to run as a service and that was OK.  I reactivated the licence and that was good too.

I've got all the settings files in %user%/AppData/Local/Bvckup2 from before but the program isn't seeing them.  Is there a way to import the jobs, and continue from where I was yesterday without having to redefine everything and lose the delta history?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 10, 2020

Lovely.

If the program was running as a service before the W10 update, then %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2 will only have UI-side settings, which do NOT include the backup configs or delta state data.

Check what you have any engine-xxx folders in %ProgramData%\Bvckup2\ directory. In particular, you are looking for backup-00xx folders that contain "settings.ini" file and "deltas" subfolder. These are the engine-side configs.

MWCS :

Jun 10, 2020

Thanks Alex - I didn't know to look there.  It seems that the upgrade had made a copy of the Bvckup2 folder in ProgramData with a serial number attached.  Deleting the new folder and renaming the backup copy (with the service stopped and UI closed) has restored everything upon restarting.

Excellent fast support - very much appreciated!

bu-287 :

Jun 11, 2020

I can confirm that all my backups disappeared. I am running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363).

I found an "engine" folder in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Bvckup2". This folder contains multiple "backup-<id>" folders each one holding a "settings.ini" and other files.

What are the steps to restore my backup settings in Bvckup 2 (78.20)?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 11, 2020

Can you describe your setup and the exact symptoms / what you saw / what you already did ? Also check if you have settings.ini in the engine/backup-00xx folders.

bu-287 :

Jun 11, 2020

I opened the application and just saw an empty area where I expected my backup jobs to appear: https://s2.imagebanana.com/file/200611/P6rUWoe7.jpg

BUT it seems like my problem magically disappeared after installing my windows upgrade to Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 now. My backup jobs are there again without my having made any chance. So at least my problem is solved. God knows why or how.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2020

That actually looks like a UI rendering issue - the jobs ARE there and they ARE listed, but they are invisible, because Windows ignores program's requests to draw all relevant information on the program window's canvas. That would most certainly be something caused by a poorly tested change on Microsoft's part pushed with a Windows update.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy