The support forum

Unable to update Bvckup2

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

I am on release 80.4. Haven't received any update notification for quite some time and today decided to check for updates manually. If I go to" Help -> Check for Updates", after a second of checking I get this message: "Regrettably, the check has failed.". No other information or detail. If I go to "Help -> About -> Check for Updates", I receive: Check Failed".
What to do?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

Something on your end is blocking bvckup2.exe's access to https://update.bvckup2.com/check page. See if you can access this page with your browser. If you are running some sort of 3rd party "personal firewall" or "security software", that'd be the culprit.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

PS. You can always download from https://bvckup2.com/update and install it by hand (just save the package somewhere and run in).

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. I can see no firewall event triggered by my attempt to update. I can access the check page you provided. I don't know what should happen but it loads a blank page with a single line of text.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

Yes, that's what it should show.

If you can get to the page with the browser, but not with bvckup2, then it's a bvckup2.exe-specific block. It almost certainly your firewall software.

You can check in the %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2.log for exact error codes. Open it in Notepad, search (Ctrl-F) for the last entry of "Initiating check for updates" and see the lines that follow.

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

I checked the log and it seems that upon sending the request for the update page I get a lot of these: "HttpSendRequest() failed with 2".

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

"Error 2" stands for "File not found", which is an error returned by HttpSendRequest when the machine is in the offline mode [1]. Since your machine is not offline, something is faking it specifically for bvckup2 and it's not Windows that does that.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/wininet/nf-wininet-httpsendrequesta

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

Thanks, Alex. Any idea how I could investigate this further?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

Disable your security software as completely as possible and see if it makes any difference?

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Disabled both my firewall and antivirus and still receive the same error.

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

I downloaded the update file and applied it manually. The application is now the latest version but still returns the same error if I attempt to check for updates.

Could this be because of any Windows service that might be stopped or disabled? I'm trying to see if this is the result of some wrong configuration on my part. Can you suggest any action to probe further where this issue comes from?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 14, 2020

There are no service dependencies. Update checks work through a built-in Windows functionality called WinInet. It's the exact same thing that is (was) being used by Internet Explorer and then Edge. If you can access the above link using either Microsoft browser, but bvckup2 throws up an error, then it's 100% due to an interference of 3rd party software imposing bvckup2-specific block.

The only other option I can think of is that you somehow put IE/Edge into the offline mode and that caused all other programs using WinInet to start not see the machine as online. But, to be honest, that's a stretch.

Arthur :

Jun 14, 2020

Thank you, Alex! That's exactly what it was. I checked Internet Explorer and it was set to "offline mode". I must have done this some time ago and forgotten about it, never knowing the implications.

The information you provided in the last paragraph was the bit that helped me fix this issue. I wouldn't have been able to find that connection otherwise.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy