The support forum

Restore/Rename Archived Files?

GRiM :

Jun 14, 2020

Hi,

I had an error with my drive pool (drives are fine) and it appears as though Bvckup has moved my entire backup folder collection to the archive folder.

The problem is that I have thousands of folders and all of them now have time/date stamp added to them so manually restoring them back to original folder is going to me a complete an utter nightmare.  Plus it's not as simple as copying all the files again as these backup files are on cloud drives that are connected locally so uploading them would take a very long time.

Please tell me that when the program was designed that you included a way to restore the files because I can't seem to find it?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 15, 2020

The archiving function is primarily meant for catching an occasional deleting mistake. There are also provisions in place to abort a backup if the source is exhibiting volume-level errors. That is, if the source can't be scanned, it will NOT assumed to be empty. Instead the backup will be aborted with an error.

As such the program does not have a built-in function for bulk restoring items from $Archive, because there are very few cases where this would be needed.

Do I understand correctly that:
1.  In your case the source showed up as empty?
2.  The backup goes onto a locally-mounted cloud drive?

It's not hard to make a script that would accept a date/time and then move all items from the $Archive tagged with this timestamp back to where they were in the backup folder, stripping the timestamp. I can write it for you if you'd like, but I'd need to understand exact circumstances.

ILS :

Jun 19, 2020

I just noticed that a folder on  my hard drive had ‘$Archive (Bvckup 2)’ instead of all the files and folders originally in it.  That archive folder has files and folders with a number in parenthesis FSU visit Oct93 (2019-02-24, 16-38-27).  i have the identical archived folder.
How do I recover the original files and folders without the parentheses?
Yes, tell me how to make a script  that would accept a date/time and then move all items from the $Archive tagged with this timestamp back to where they were in the backup folder, stripping the timestamp

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 22, 2020

So, hold on for a second -

I just noticed that a folder on  my hard drive had ‘$Archive (Bvckup 2)’ instead of all the files and folders originally in it.

Was this on your backup drive or was it some other drive that might've appeared under the same drive letter as the former?

How do I recover the original files and folders without the parentheses?

Recovering folders/files from the Archive is a simple matter of moving them back to their respective location in the backup folder and then stripping of the timestamp.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy