The support forum

Opening of FileExplorer

pcrab1 :

Nov 08, 2020

Everytime backup runs a backup, it opens the file explorer on the screen.This id a nuisance if using the computer. Is there a way of stopping this happening please.  (Windows 10)

Froggie :

Nov 09, 2020

No other user has ever reported this problem on this Forum that I know of.  There must be something very unique with your configuration.

Are you using any pre- or post- backup commands on any of your backup jobs?

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2020

Exactly this. Having something set in pre/post-backup commands is the only explanation for this behavior.

This would be in Backup Settings > More Options > External commands. You can get there by double-clicking on the backup job's entry in the main program window.

Thanks for chiming in, Froggie.

pcrab1 :

Nov 09, 2020

Hi,Thanks for your inputs. I've checked through all my backup jobs, and there is nothing listed under the external commands at all. I've looked through all the other settings and can't see anything that looks relevant to this. It doesn't do any harm,its just a nuisance having to close the explorer page all the time.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2020

I can't think of anything _in the program itself_ that might be causing this. There's no code in it that would open Windows Explorer when a backup is run, it just plain doesn't know how to do this.

But let's have a look in any case. Please do this -

1. Select a backup job that triggers this.
2. Open log panel if it's not visible (Menu > Options > Show log panel)
3. On the panel, select "Log Options" > "Clear the view"
4. Next, run the backup with Go. This, if I understand you correctly, will cause Windows Explorer window to open.
5. Now, look in the log panel, right-click on the "Preparing..." line and select "Copy block to clipboard".
6. Come back here and paste that into your reply. It will be a mess, but that's OK.

I'll have a look and we'll go from there.

pcrab1 :

Nov 09, 2020

Hi Alex, I have done as you say. I have a number of different backups.I chose this one as I had just made a change in the source for this one.This is the result. It didn't however trigger the opening of the file explorer. I had run through the other backups, but with no changes so the backups found nothing to backup new, none of which prompted a startup. I'll try all (10 different, 5 to each of two externals drives)the others when I can and get back to you.
I hope the following means something to you . Thanks for your help. Pete

[snip]

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2020

Hi Pete, if this didn't cause the symptoms, the log is irrelevant (I trimmed it to keep this thread a bit concise). Do check if you _can_ reliably reproduce this, because that's the first step to understanding the details.

pcrab1 :

Nov 10, 2020

Hi Alex.My original thought was that it must be the backup programme that was causing this .I've just realised that it only opens explorer when one particular external HDD is taking the backup. When it did it this morning the explorer was opened with the MANAGE button highlighted . I looked into the AUTOPLAY button and it was set to "open folder to view files". I have changed this to "take no action". I am hoping that perhaps this is the gremlin that is opening explorer when Backup accesses it. Could I be right do you think?  I'll let you know what happens .Best regards Pete

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 10, 2020

That would explain it for sure. But, as per usual - try and reproduce it to confirm.

pcrab1 :

Nov 13, 2020

Hi Alex,
Just to let you know, the file explorer problem seems to have been solved. Sorry to have bothered you when it wasn't  anyting to do with the backup programme. Thanks again. stay safe. Peter

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy