The support forum

Beta Release 41

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 15, 2013

Creation timestamps

The backup planning module has been extended with two new features relating to the file creation timestamp (c-times).

-- First --

The planner can now be configured to ignore c-times when trying to understand if a file has changed and needs updating. The default remains as before which is to look at a triplet of creation timestamp, modification timestamp and the file size.

There is a special case where the default is suppressed and the c-times are excluded from the comparision - the first backup run. This is done to accommodate the case of bvckup taking over an existing backup, which could've perhaps been created by simple copying of files and folders in Windows Explorer.

Once the backup completes, the default is restored and the app starts paying attention to the creation timestamp again. If it changes, the file is deemed modified.

-- Second --

The planner can now be told to suppress copying of c-times. When this option is enabled, the app will preserve backup's copy original c-time and copy over on the modification timestamp.

Also, suppressing c-time copying automatically suppresses their use for file change detection (as per previous section).

-- Configuring 1 & 2 --

These are per-backup settings and toggling them requires a manual .ini edit at the moment. Specifically:

1. Right-click on the backup entry in main window,
    select Open folder > Configuration and Logging

2. Exit the program.

3. Now open settings.ini in Notepad and
    change the line that starts with "conf.ctime_match" as follows:

conf.ctime_match  1

This will disable "created" time matching.

4. To suppress copying of "created" times find the line that starts
     with "conf.copy_extras" and remove "ctime" and "atime" from
     it (together with respective commas).

5. Save the .ini, exit Notepad, restart the program.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 15, 2013

Minimize on close

Added the "Minimize on close" option to the preferences.

When enabled, Minimize will minimize to the taskbar (as usual) and Close will minimize to the systray.

When disabled, Minimize will minimize to the systray and Close will exit the app.

https://bvckup2.com/wip/15102014

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 15, 2013

Self-backup

Added basic support for app's configuration self-backup.

This is requires one-time manual configuration to set the backup directory and then the app will automatically maintain a copy of all configuration files there.

Enabling this feature requires a manual .ini edit at the moment, but it's very simple.
a) Shutdown Bvckup
b) Open %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2.ini in Notepad
c) Add line "self_backup <the-config-backup-directory>" without quotes, e.g.

self_backup  C:\Temp\BvckupConfigBackup

d) Save the .ini, exit Notepad, start Bvckup

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 15, 2013

Issues resolved

1. Fixed an issue with installers running off network drives -- this is as per https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/135

2. Fixed an issue with release notes appearing trimmed -- sometimes release notes in "View changes" panel in the "New version available" window would get trimmed

3. Fixed an issue with bogus blinking systray icon -- FINAL fix, promise. The issue was caused by a backup job encountering a critical error and then sorting it out. Former would queue a message and start systray blinking and latter would erase the message, but would forget to stop the blinkage.

Other changes

Installation path is now directly editable in the installer

genl :

Oct 16, 2013

Just tested a single job with modified conf.ctime_match and conf.copy_extras.

It went fine as expected, and I could see from the log that rename detection was correct and expected to a degree - even though some of renamed files were duplicates, I ended up with an accurate copy of my data.

However I've noticed a different issue from this and previously done jobs too:
I have added .\$RECYCLE.BIN folder into exception list. After the job is done, I found the Bvckup archived this folder on destination (at "$Archive of Deleted Items (Bvckup)"). It did so every single time it seems. My job is set to "archive backup copies of deleted items".

Expected behavior: if I specifically exclude .\$RECYCLE.BIN or .\RECYCLER, there is no point to delete or archive the recycle bin on destination. Because Windows will re-create it later anyway.

Question: if at some of future runs I want to update c-times of all files at destination with original c-times, what do I do? Just change the "conf.copy_extras"?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 17, 2013

Question: if at some of future runs I want to update c-times of all files at destination with original c-times, what do I do? Just change the "conf.copy_extras"?

Yep, exactly.

markrosoft :

Mar 17, 2016

Not working for me. I changed conf.ctime_match to 1, removed "ctime" and "atime" from the conf.copy_extras line, save the file, restart bvckup2 and guess what - the program has undone my changes and put those lines back to how they were.

Any suggestions?

markrosoft :

Mar 17, 2016

Nevermind! Shut down the program, deleted the "settings copy" and "settings prev" files and then edited the settings.ini file - seem to have stuck now! :)

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms