The support forum

Destination drive letter changed, am I obliged to do a full bvckup again ?

Apollo17 :

Apr 19, 2021

Hello,
I read another thread on the subject but either I didn't understand the answers (sorry) or it wasn't addressed.
Thing is, Bvckup doesn't find my destination drive, as the letter is not the same (don't know why btw. Using Windows 8.1 with Bvckup without problem with for years).

Can I change the destination drive letter so it matches the one it has now?
If not, can I avoid to re backup everything ?

And even more important, in the future, why I setup a new bvckup job,  can I choose a different parameter which doesn't use the drive letter as a way to 'remember' the drive ?

Thanks A LOT !  Stay safe and have a nice day,  Jacques, Geneva.

Apollo17 :

Apr 19, 2021

"when I setup a new job" not 'why'.

Apollo17 :

Apr 19, 2021

FOUND part of the solution. I went to Windows and changed the letter in the drive management.
Sadly, I can't edit my question or erase my post.

Only one question remains :  When I setup a new bvckup job,  can I choose a different parameter which doesn't use the drive letter as a way to 'remember' the drive ?

Froggie :

Apr 19, 2021

Make sure your task definition is correct as far as your target device is concerned (and works).  <left-click" your Backup task, SELECT "Adjust Backup Settings. <click> on the little PushPin to the right of your "Backup to" definition.  Under "Tracking," set its DropDown to "By device fingerprint."  CLOSE that window and select the UPDATE option.

At this point, Bvckup will not use the device LETTER anymore, it will use a physical fingerprint of the target drive.  If that drive letter changes, the backup task will follow the physical drive.

Apollo17 :

Apr 20, 2021

Fantastic ! Thank you so much.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 21, 2021

Thanks, Froggie.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter