The support forum

Windows 8.1 - SkyDrive Files - UnsupportedReparsePointType Error

AlphaDeltaZ :

Oct 18, 2013

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 last night and found some interesting errors in my log this morning. My backup log I mean, not the other type.

For each of the files that are marked as "Online only", the log shows this error.

UnsupportedReparsePointType() failed with 80000015

Makes sense, as the file isn't actually on the disk, it's on SkyDrive and only exists as a "Smart File" containing metadata. But, if I'm interpreting Microsoft's stance correctly, accessing a file that is "Online only" should actually invoke the sync engine to retrieve the file off the server.

Smart files are files that contain only metadata and no “body”. In addition they have a special behavior where applications or components on the system can register to be the provider for the contents of the file and when a caller reads the body of the file via certain APIs, these providers are invoked to satisfy this request. By hooking the SkyDrive sync engine into this pipeline as a provider for files in the SkyDrive namespace, we could seamlessly provide access to data stored in the service without forcing all the data to exist on the device before accessing it

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/10/15/skydrive-and-windows-8-1.aspx

**I'm thinking out loud here. I could be completely wrong.**
If that is what is happening, then bvckup doesn't know how to handle the path of the file that the SkyDrive sync engine is sending it.
So one solution might be to support the type of path that Skydrive sends, but I'm not sure how valid that idea is. The log shows a "Context" for each of the files, and they are standard Windows filepaths ( C:\Users\[username]\SkyDrive\[Filename.ext]
Another might be to detect files that are online only and have an option to exclude them?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 18, 2013

Ah, interesting.

"Reparse point" is a special kind of file. It has a name and the attributes, but it doesn't have content. Instead it has a 32-bit "reparse tag", which identifies the exact meta type of the file. Most common ones are Symlinks and Mount Points. The one you fished out is brand spanking new, it's not even documented yet -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365511%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Another might be to detect files that are online only and have an option to exclude them?

I think the safest thing to do at this point is to ignore these files altogether and wait until relevant documentation settles. Also, generally speaking, I'm too not sure if backing up files that still need to be retrieved from somewhere else is a good idea to begin with.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 18, 2013

There's *no* technical documentation on smart files. None. I'll try and look in the Preview edition of Windows 8.1 SDK, but it may just contain the 0x80000015 and not the details.

In any case, I added code to ignore smart files, for now.

AlphaDeltaZ :

Oct 18, 2013

I think the safest thing to do at this point is to ignore these files altogether and wait until relevant documentation settles. Also, generally speaking, I'm too not sure if backing up files that still need to be retrieved from somewhere else is a good idea to begin with.

Agreed; the performance hit alone would be a big deterrent.

But I'm not sure on ignoring the files completely. If I hadn't seen it in the log, I would have assumed it was backed up, but now that I have seen and know that it won't be backed up, I don't want it to clog up the log with the same errors every time the job runs. Perhaps a one-time warning or alert, or an option to suppress that particular error?

jrothlis :

Oct 18, 2013

I don't think Bvckup should ever back them up, as that would force Skydrive to download everything, thus defeating the point of the smart files.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 18, 2013

My thinking too.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials