The support forum

What is the effect of "cancelling" a backup

BankFodder :

Jun 12, 2021

I can't seem to find this anywhere on this site.

If you stop/cancel a backup, does this mean later on that if you start the backup, you have to begin again from scratch? Or will it start up from where you left off before?

Thanks

Froggie :

Jun 12, 2021

My experience says that it will start where it left off.

BankFodder :

Jun 12, 2021

Thanks,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then because it seems to me that it was having to go over the whole lot again "updating" until eventually started "copying".

I'll try to work out what is happening

Froggie :

Jun 12, 2021

In the job's "Backup Settings," if "Detecting changes" is set to re-scan, the job will re-compare the entire SOURCE with the DESTINATION as part of its planning process.  Once it's determined what was "unfinished" from the CANCEL, it will continue the COPY from that point on.

If "Detecting changes" is set to "Use destination snapshot," that re-scan process is much quicker as it will use the destination snapshot to determine the status of the last operation.

I know, Alex... I'm using all the wrong terminology...  :-)

BankFodder :

Jun 12, 2021

Ta.  I'll have a look

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 13, 2021

If you stop/cancel a backup, does this mean later on that if you start the backup, you have to begin again from scratch? Or will it start up from where you left off before?

For more or less static setups it's the latter.

Backing up is an inherently simple process - the program looks at the source and backup file trees, deduces the differences, translates them into a step of simple discrete steps (e.g. create folder, create file, delete this, move that, etc.) and then executes these steps in order.

When you cancel, some steps are executed and some are not. Meaning that some of differences were rectified and some weren't. If neither the source nor backup change before the next run, that run will end up executing the "tail" of the original backup plan.

If you don't see this happening, you will need to take a look at the backup log and see what it is that the program thinks needs updating and why. All relevant information is written out to the log.

The "Detecting changes" setting makes a difference only if the backup changes between the runs. That's because doing so will invalidate program's cached view of the setup and it will end up using a backup file index that is no longer 100% correct.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy