The support forum

Device tracking

MrZebulon :

Jun 12, 2021

Hi Alex.
When I start my computer, I first unmount my external
HDD via batch file because of security reasons.

I wanted to mount my HDD again as pre-backup command in
Bvckup 2. But that doesn't work because Bvckup 2 first checks
if the drive is present on job startup and before execution
of the pre-backup command. So the job fails.
Because I don't want to switch off device tracking (it's useful) is it possible
to have the option (setting) tracking the device after execution of the pre-backup command?

Kind regards
Roland

Froggie :

Jun 12, 2021

<right-click> on Backup job and select "Open folder/Configuration and Logging.'  Edit the file "Overide.ini" and place the following item in it...

conf.wait_for_dst                                  0

Save file, completely exit Bvckup2 and restart.  This should give you what you need.  I use this feature all the time for the same reason even when device tracking.

Froggie :

Jun 12, 2021

Error in the above... the file is "override.ini."

MrZebulon :

Jun 12, 2021

Hi Froggie.
There is no override.ini at all - and creating one doesn't work.
Only a settings.ini.
Thanks

Froggie :

Jun 12, 2021

The easiest way to create one is to open settings.ini in NOTEPAD.  Do a "Save as" (with Save as type set to "All Files") with your new name as override.ini... this should create the file.  Now delete everything in your open file and place the above special entry into the blank file then do a SAVE (which will save it to your open file "override.ini").  At t his point you should have "override.ini" in the same place as "settings.ini."

Exit and restart Bvckup2... the override instruction should be in place now.

MrZebulon :

Jun 12, 2021

This should have worked before, but I am a bit blind and didn't put the "0" and the end of the command in the override.ini.
It's working now.
Many thanks for helping me.
You're my hero of the day ;-)

MrZebulon :

Jun 12, 2021

BTW. Would be nice to have a handier solution via settings.

Froggie :

Jun 13, 2021

Alex has a "million" settings inside of this appllication... if brought out to a UI (User Interface), the UI would become almost unintelligible.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 13, 2021

Roland,

Here's a FAQ entry for the override that Froggie mentioned - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1390/7424

At the moment the simplest way to apply an override is in fact to add it to the override.ini file and then reloading the backup job via the Ctrl-right-click menu - https://bvckup2.com/wip/12122018

The next release (R82) will likely expose most commonly used overrides in the UI, but I am still to work through how to do that exactly.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 13, 2021

Froggie, thanks for stepping in to help. Much appreciated.

MrZebulon :

Jun 14, 2021

Learning never stops!
Thank you both :-)

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit