The support forum

Backup in a loop of "changes detected, will run in x seconds ..."

jchng :

Jul 10, 2021

I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior. My backup is in a loop of "changes detected, will run in x seconds ..." - as soon as the countdown finishes, the loop restarts and it repeats endlessly. This obviously happens when no files have been changed. No errors are listed though.

Alex Pankratov :

Jul 10, 2021

This means that changes were to one of the files that are excluded from the backup.

The way this scheduling mode works is that the program asks Windows to tell it when _something_ changes in the source folder. It has no way of specifying that it's interested in changes only to _this_ subfolder or _that_ file. Hence the behavior you are seeing. The workaround is to split your backup into several jobs, each taking care of a subset of the original job and none including these frequently changing files that you have no need to back up.

jchng :

Jul 10, 2021

Thanks for the explanation. On a related note, if this behavior is still occurring even when my computer has been sitting for a while unused, could this be a sign that there's something wrong with my machine? (The folders I back up using Bvckup2 are standard folders where I keep my files, so I don't know why they'd be changing constantly).

Froggie :

Jul 11, 2021

jchng, it's not just your folders, it's any folder, even excluded, that exists below the top-level folder you have selected.

Froggie :

Jul 11, 2021

That's what causes the trip on a CONTINUOUS (real0time) backup specification.

Froggie :

Jul 11, 2021

I ran into a lot of that when I first became a user many eons ago... I eventually took Alex's suggestion and lowered the specification of the folders I was interested in... and also took many of them to a timed backup rather than continuous.

jchng :

Jul 11, 2021

Froggie - I see, that makes more sense. Thank you for clearing things up.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy