The support forum

Beta Release 51

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 08, 2013

Read this first please

If you saw Bvckup crash yesterday, submitted a crash report and
    you live in Japan or France -  please send me an email at ap@bvckup.com

I got three reports from two people and I *really* want to ask few questions.
    I've been chasing this specific problem for two weeks now, I need a bit of help.

Issues fixed

Fixed another exotic issue with network file copying -- this is in relation to the above.

There's been this issue with copying module triggering a self-consistency check upon completing a file copy, because one of internal IO buffers was getting lost along the way. I've re-read the code a hundred times, twice with pen and paper, ran all possible tests I could think of, came empty-handed and then finally found a case which could've caused it. The fix went into Beta 50.

This release fixes another case, but the likelihood of it occurring in reality is very very slim. I have also sprinkled a bit of diagnostic code to try and narrow it down IF it happens again. So if you do see a crash, please take a moment and submit the crash report.

THIS IS THE ONLY SERIOUS OUTSTANDING ISSUE at the moment.

Added per-backup option to prevent system going to sleep - this is as per  https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/171 - running a backup now prevents the computer from going to sleep. This can be disabled, though not via the UI.

Minor stuff

"Removing volume snapshot" is now a separate step as sometimes it make take a minute to complete. Also, fixed a couple of smaller things with the UI.

robfork :

Nov 08, 2013

I had some kind of problem in the past day or so. A small info window with an option to submit a report. (I did) It didn't say it worked or not but I assumed it did. I simply started Bvckup2 with the desktop icon and everything seemed to be OK.

I have had several blue screen system crashes over the past few weeks. (I "think" I've solved it by updating my wireless network driver.) Bvckup2 seemed to recover just fine, as I would expect it to. I don't know if these contributed to the Bvckup2 crashes or not and I really didn't see a possible connection until now.

Thanks for the explanations,
Bob

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2013

THIS IS THE ONLY SERIOUS OUTSTANDING ISSUE at the moment.

AAAAAAA... FOUND IT!!

This happens when a source file is shrunk down at an exact moment of when it is being read by bvckup. This causes a file to be re-copied and this in turn causes internal house-keeping stats to be reset (even though the actual supporting data remains in place). So at the end of the second copying attempt the app tallies things up and they don't match -> it pulls the safety trigger and suicides.

Kudos to Terry for an extremely helpful log file. The update will be out tomorrow.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 09, 2013

Oh, and an interim workaround is to change "Shadow copying" to "Require". This ensures that the content of the source location doesn't change throughout the backup.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy