The support forum

Beta Release 57

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 28, 2013

New

1. Updated the appearance of delta copying progress bar. From this - http://bvckup2.com/wip/delta-progress-bar-before.png to this - http://bvckup2.com/wip/delta-progress-bar-after.png . Change's not dramatic, but it makes partially and fully copied blocks more visually distinct.

2. Reworked UI-engine communication to be asynchronous - prior to this version when you'd click Go or Stop, it would issue a command to the engine and then it would wait for the response. In a vast majority of cases a response would come back instantaneously, but sometimes it would not and the UI would stutter, because of that.  

Fixed

1. Fixed an exotic issue with the backup planner - It triggered a self-consistency check upon encountering certain combination of a file move and a directory creation. Basically if you had file called FOO, then moved it to some other place, created a *folder* named FOO in its place and dropped some files into it, then the planner would choke. Kudos to Pat for filing the report and confirming the fix.

2. Fixed timestamping issue with WD MyBook devices - yet another in the series of weird NTFS-like devices that do pretty much everything but to actually work like an NTFS device :) Kudos to Olly and Western Digital.

3. Fixed handling of post-backup pauses - the app was erroneously observing the intra-backup interval of real-time jobs when servicing periodic backups. Kudos to Stuart for this one.

4. Fixed a smaller issue with delta copier - delta copier would trigger a self-consistency check when it couldn't re-initialize delta copying state (due to the lack of space, for example). This is a provisional fix, got no reports of this.

5. Fixed an issue with extraneous NULs writting into .ini files - this is as per https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/198

Other

1. Added $dcsys$ to the list of default exclusions

2. Added code to track cumulative backup statistics - it just keeps track of number of backup runs, number of files processed and number of bytes read and written. It doesn't do anything with this info just yet. But it will :)

3. Archive folder is now created on as-needed basis (and removed when not needed.

4. Ctrl-Go now flushes cached file system information, such as file system name, c-time and attribute support and timestamp resolutions.

5. Reworked snapshot loading to use 50% less memory - this is important for very large jobs. Previously it would first read an entire .dat file into the memory and then parse it into an internal representation, thus having two copies of the same data in memory at some point. It does this no more.

Olly :

Nov 28, 2013

"2. Fixed timestamping issue with WD MyBook devices - yet another in the series of weird NTFS-like devices that do pretty much everything but to actually work like an NTFS device :) Kudos to Olly and Western Digital."

My pleasure, Alex - though you did the hard work for this as much as for the other enhancements! :)

For anyone bumping in to this thread the fix also solved the identical issue of unnecessary copying of unchanged files on my other NAS, an LG N2A2.  Both this (with Hitachi Spinpoint drives) and the WD Mybook (with Green Caviar drives) are low cost but (in my experience) highly reliable SOHO backup devices where their relatively modest throughput rates has never been an issue.

Olly

Bamit :

Nov 28, 2013

Thanks for fixing the LG NAS time issue.  I was going nuts trying to figure out why it kept writing certain files to the NAS trashbox on every backup.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 28, 2013

No problem. Just make sure to complain next time :)

Bamit :

Nov 29, 2013

Didnt want to complain if it was my NAS's fault.  After all, the new Bvckup works great, and that was my only "head scratching" issue.  

On another note ( hope it is ok to mention it here):  In your previous Bvckup1 beta, there was a "Back up Everything" feature in both the tray icon and in the console itself.  Is that something you'd consider putting back in? It was really nice since I am one that always does my back ups manually.
The way I have to do it now is to shift-select all with the mouse and then select go.
After the backup is complete I then have to deselect each entry one at a time with the ctrl key held down to unselect all the highlighted jobs.  No biggie, just not as quick as the previous way.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 29, 2013

Is that something you'd consider putting back in?

I wasn't 100% sure if it is that useful. That's why I took it out. I did however put a couple of shortcuts in that might be of some help. Ctrl-A selects all items on the list, so that's a replacement for click, scroll, shift-click. Secondly, clicking on an empty space at the bottom of the list will clear the selection. Though this only works when there aren't many items on the list and no scroll bar.

Bamit :

Nov 30, 2013

Thanks for the Crtl-A tip.  I (unfortunately) have about 20 jobs in my list so the quick un-check feature is not available.
If it is not too time consuming, and/or others find that this might be useful also, I certainly would not be offended it I saw it there again.

Lurch :

Nov 30, 2013

I think unselect should be operated by hitting escape. Pretty sure that follows standard UI options.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 01, 2013

@Bamit - my bad, actually. Left-clicking on an already selected item should deselect all other items, but it doesn't do that. This way you'd click on any item, then ctrl-click on it again and nothing will be selected.

That said, I just added something a bit faster. Now clicking on an empty area of the toolabr (to the right of the buttons) clears the selection. This will be B59.

@Lurch - that's reasonable, but that's not how Windows' native lists work. Escape does nothing to their selection..

Bamit :

Dec 02, 2013

Thanks Alex, that will definitely make it much easier.

PeteZ :

Dec 02, 2013

Just noticed that the error message for missed backups (bottom of UI) doesn't clear once the condition is resolved. (In my case, the USB drive is reconnected and the missed backups have successfully run.) Maybe this is by design? Also clicking the red (X) next to the message doesn't clear it, only clicking on the text message itself.

Alex, do you prefer minor things like this be added to the current build's thread, or should there be a catch-app thread for the minor bugs that don't cause functional errors? (Sorry if I missed it, I looked...)

Lurch :

Dec 03, 2013

that's reasonable, but that's not how Windows' native lists work. Escape does nothing >to their selection..

Quite right, so it doesn't. I think this must be something that some programs do that I've picked it up from. Seems logical though.

I do use AutoCAD though, so my escape key is used a lot anyway!

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy