The support forum

Folders to classify jobs

Eric :

Dec 12, 2013

Is it possible to create folders to classify back up jobs ? For instance, I'd like to have a folder for my first external hard drive, with 3 jobs in it, a second folder for a second hard drive and so on...

It could be easier when you have multiple back ups an different hard rives.

PeteZ :

Dec 12, 2013

If I understand your question correctly: Yes, you can specify a backup destination for each job. (You can't specify different destinations for different parts within the same job though.)

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 12, 2013

I think Eric is talking about grouping backups in the application UI.

Eric, can you rationalize this? I.e. what *exactly* are you after? Do you have too many backups configured and it's overwhelming (so you'd want them to stick to the collapsible folders) or do you just want to group them visually? Because depending on the answer there might be different solutions.

nod5 :

Dec 15, 2013

This has similarity with my req on "sets" of backups, https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/19 , post 28. Alex there pointed out that we can run multiple instances of Bvckup2 with different backup lists. That allows for a form of categories. But on reflection I think sets of jobs in one UI is better. I want sets of jobs for quicker and better overview. Use case: 20+ manual backups. (All the text in the UI (20+ "awaiting a go command", "no errors") add to the overview problem.)

Here are two other ideas for sets/categories:
1. tabbed interface: tabs to the right of the "Stop" button. Change tabs with mouse or ctrl+tab. Benefits: enables sets/categories of backups; users already familiar with tabbed interface; users could rightclick a tab and run all its backups.
2. colors: give users the option to tag any backup with one light color from a list of a handful or so to choose from. A color tagged backup gets a colored background or, more minimal, a 5 pixel wide colored stripe on the left side of the backup in the list. Option to sort list based on color tag.

Eric :

Dec 16, 2013

Yes Alex, that's what I'm talking about. I'd like to group them visually. I'm a photographer and I'm doing multiple back ups of the same folders. For now I have something like :
001-folder A back up job to external drive A
001-folder B back up job to external drive A
002-folder A back up job to external drive B
002-folder B back up job to external drive B
So I'm after something like Folders where I can group multiple jobs :
Folder 1 : with all my 001 jobs
Folder 2: with all my 002 jobs

and so on

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 17, 2013

Eric, how many jobs/groups do you have?

Eric :

Dec 18, 2013

From 3 to 6 jobs by group

JTW :

Oct 07, 2020

I know this is an old post, but any chance that adding organizational containers to house like-jobs and  make navigating the UI easier might be reconsidered?

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 12, 2020

This is scheduled for R82, the next release.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy