The support forum

Please Create a Command Line Interface

mas :

Dec 12, 2013

Please enhance Bvckup2 so that a backup can be run from a CMD prompt or PowerShell prompt.

I currently use DriveImageXML for scripted backups, but think the feature set of Bvckup2 may make me consider it for future use if it could be scripted with command line options.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 12, 2013

Can you elaborate on what exactly would you like to do with the CLI?

Start/stop/pause/resume/disable/enable backups and list their status?

Lurch :

Dec 15, 2013

I know I've mentioned this a few times but never elaborated on it. I was thinking that all the CLI would be for would be for actually starting jobs so you can run them in a script at logon/logoff etc... The job management features would still be done by the UI. I don't think it needs to be any more complex than running a command of say '%PathToBvckup% /job1' to run a job.

I suppose if you can make the command line do most of what the UI can do then it just makes it more flexible for using in scripts elsewhere.

Alex Pankratov :

Dec 17, 2013

Ok, I'll see what I can do.

genl :

Mar 28, 2014

Here is a possible alternative feature that might be easier to implement:

Decision making logic based on pre-backup script. More specifically: if a user-made pre-backup script returns specific value, e.g. "0", Bvckup skips doing the current job at this time. May aswell skip executing a post-backup script.

This may be useful for specific cases, but of course this won't let a full control unlike CLI.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 28, 2014

This is already supported actually, though it's an .ini only option.

If "conf.command_pre_crit" set to 1, then it will check exit code of pre-backup command and if it doesn't match "conf.command_pre_rc", it will abort the backup. It will however log an error in this case, it can't cancel the backup quietly.

genl :

Mar 28, 2014

Good to know, thanks. I hope you'll provide some kind of helpfile with description of all available options for the production release though.

PeteZ :

Mar 28, 2014

My thought exactly... Is there a repository for ini file options to date?

I've seen a ton of them mentioned individually, and just assumed that in time you will be able to do complete docs for not only the UI, but all other features. Of course you have to wait until the final release is ready for that. :)

---

BTW, thanks for the beta test email you recently sent. Your work is greatly appreciated, and I expect Bvckup to do well!

mas2 :

Mar 30, 2014

Here are the command line arguments for DriveImageXML:

https://www.runtime.org/driveimage_faq.htm#command_line

Basically, I just want to start a backup, specifying the source, destination, and any available options. In the case of DriveImageXML, I specify VSS option, image splitting, and fast compression.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 01, 2014

@genl, PeteZ - no such repo at the moment, sorry. I will be getting to the in-depth documentation shortly after the release.

@mas2 - OK, noted, thanks.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms