The support forum

Allow tray icon click to minimize window

Deipotent :

Jan 27, 2014

If window is visible and tray icon clicked, can you make it minimize the window.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 28, 2014

But what if window is obscured by other windows? Wouldn't you click on the tray icon to bring it *up*?

genl :

Jan 28, 2014

I think he means that it would be easy to click the icon again to hide the window if user just wanted to check the job status.

This makes sense. If a window is obscured the user may just click the icon again to bring it up. Clicking twice in one place is easier than moving mouse over the screen space just to hide the window.

Also mabe you could add keyboard shortcuts like Esc and Ctrl+W for closing the window. That would also be useful if "Minimize on close" is activated.

Deipotent :

Jan 28, 2014

I agree that if the window is obscured, it should bring the window to the front, and if not obscured, minimize to tray.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 28, 2014

Good point, gentlemen. Added.

Re: shortcuts - Close on Esc is a dialog semantics and Ctrl-W typically closes Tab/sub-windows. Why not just leave it at Ctrl-F4?

genl :

Jan 29, 2014

Esc closes windows for several tray-oriented applications I'm using, and minimizes the main window for at least one of them.
Ctrl+W closes Windows Explorer windows and browsers' (IE included) tabs/windows, also works for several IM-type applications by closing their tabs/windows but leaving the tray icon. By "tabs/windows" I mean the shortcut would close the whole multi-tabbed window if only 1 tab is active.

Ctrl+F4 does nothing for most apps I'm using. Also it's less comfortable than Alt+F4 which already works in bvckup.

I don't have a weighty argument for this but I really like when some application supports Ctrl+W aside of Alt+F4. I don't remember when I pressed Alt+F4 last time.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 29, 2014

Ctrl+W closes Windows Explorer windows

And I did *not* know that, ha.

Ctrl+F4 does nothing for most apps I'm using. Also it's less comfortable than Alt+F4 which already works in bvckup.

I meant Alt-F4, sorry.

I don't have a weighty argument for this but I really like when some application supports Ctrl+W aside of Alt+F4.

Fair enough, I'll add it.

genl :

Feb 18, 2014

Okay, I see Ctrl+W is added in build 60, but it works as File->Exit, skipping "Minimize on close" ability. It should've act as clicking Close button instead.

Thanks!

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 18, 2014

Right, makes sense.

jrothlis :

Feb 18, 2014

Agreed, Ctrl-W means "close Window" not "Quit App".

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy