The support forum

Multiple folder selection for source

TexasTech :

Feb 04, 2014

I have not seen this in the forum, but didn't look a long time and there is no search...
Would love to have multiple folder selection of folders in source selection.

not sure how this would affect the destination selection. assume one upper level folder contains the subfolders.

with many folders, creating individual backups for each folder is time consuming.

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 04, 2014

Unless I misunderstand you, it can already be done by selecting upper level folder as source and then including required subfolders via "Backup what" configuration - https://bvckup2.com/wip/08072013.

Just use "Start with an empty list" option and then include what's needed in the tree widget.

The only difference would be with real-time backup - these may end up getting triggered by changes in subfolders that are *not* included in the backup.

TexasTech :

Feb 05, 2014

Thanks Alex, first time using it and wasn't aware of this. Turning out to be much better than I thought.
Thanks for a great product.

irv4oh :

May 31, 2014

Unfortunately, using the "Start with an empty list" makes all the wonderful default exclude filters disappear. Perhaps there can be an easy way to add default exclude filters for files such as various caches?

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 01, 2014

@irv4oh - Hmm, indeed. I will be adding an option to edit the defaults, so this would fit there nicely. But for now there's no easy workaround as there's no internal support for default exclusion filters in inclusive backups (I'll see if I can add this into the next release).

BvcDer :

Jun 28, 2014

I too would like to see this feature, but with the ability to select folders from a different drive.  Using the "Backup what" configuration after the job is created allows only folders to be selected from the same drive.  Selecting the source would then be like a kind of "pick your own selection" from a sweets counter.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 30, 2014

No plans for this whatsoever, sorry. The main issue is that the UI becomes a total mess when the app hits errors, e.g. you have a backup that spans two drives, one of them removable. In theory, if one drive goes away, the app should nuke its copy from the backup, because it's a mirroring app. But that's probably not what you want, so it should keep it ... but then it means that the app starts acting differently under similar circumstances and that's a road to hell.

BvcDer :

Jun 30, 2014

Ah well....

sTaLa :

Aug 23, 2018

Hello,
I am in the same situation as BvcDer. I want to back-up my stuff on a personnal drive I would take to job and bring back home once a month. My sources are MY DOCUMENTS on my C Drive on all my PICTURES that are located on a NAS that is shared through the whole house. Is there a way to manage it at this point?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 23, 2018

You will need to create two separate backup jobs, one per source, each going to its own backup folder.

sTaLa :

Aug 23, 2018

Yes that will work. It would have been more ergonomic to have just one backup job, but your idea will do just fine.
Thank you

HiZ :

Nov 09, 2018

Some software write data on multiple drives, and tp backup such files it does not make since to do multiple backup jobs, I have 7 drives, so that force me to have 7 jobs beside the other jobs. The UI is already totally full because there is no way to select multiple sources (drives, folders), so having extra 7 jobs will not help.
I think multiple source selection (drives & folders) in a single job is really practical.

Alex Pankratov :

Nov 10, 2018

@HiZ - I don't think it's a good idea, because there's a lot of edge cases both of the UI and operational kinds, but for the sake of argument, let's say it is supported and I select two folders for backup

C:\Foo
        D:\Foo

and set the backup folder to X:\Bar. What do you expect to see in Bar after the backup is run?

In terms of supporting your setup *right now* it's fairly easy to do by using symlinks - create a new folder (on the source side) and put their symlinks to all your 7 folders. Then create a job to backup this folder, go into More Options section of its settings and enable "Follow symlinks for folders". That's it.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy