The support forum

System drive backup solution

genl :

Feb 17, 2014

I don't really trust Windows Restore.

Is it possible for a tool like Bvckup to do and keep 1:1 copy of the volume I have an OS installed and running?

I suppose there will be difficulties if I want 100% copy including all system and hidden files. Most likely it would be almost impossible in usermode. But maybe it's possible to exclude the set of most redundant files and still have a working copy of a whole system drive, that I could later restore on a different physical HDD on the same system. Or, at least, I want the restore process to be as easy as possible, even if I would need to re-install a bunch of drivers afterwards.

Would such a feature be useful to anyone?

Froggie :

Feb 17, 2014

Genl... the SYSTEM volume is unique in many of its structures, it's not just files.  That's why most people who care (and most should) about that volume and its structures, use an IMAGING application rather than a file replication application.  This insures that all needed system structures/files are returned upon restoration.  Many of them also provide FILE  access to the saved images so that individual files may be restored, if necessary.

Bvckup is an excellent FILE replication tool, and is best used for very important data rather than trying to get the most out of a system volume.  Many may disagree with me but that's my view.

JacobMoreagles :

Feb 17, 2014

I agree with the @Froggie, You should be using something like clonezilla {http://clonezilla.org} if you're worried about system restore being inadequate.

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 17, 2014

@genl - this is undoubtedly useful, but it's hardly a "feature", it's a whole different class of backup. As Froggie and Jacob say, system backup needs to be aware of disk sectors, master boot records, partition tables, etc. It works one level down (and closer to hardware) from where Bvckup is.

genl :

Feb 18, 2014

I see your points.

However. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you just copy all files of one system volume with installed OS to another volume, it should at least be able to boot OS correctly, provided the volume has the same number in system and its hardware is working under the same mode. At least I remember it was working with Windows XP at some point.

I just thought that all those volume-copying tools need to work outside of OS, which means I need to do 2 more reboots each time I want to make a backup. Also they are rather slow compared to how Bvckup handles backups, not many of them support incremental backups etc.

jgodfrey :

Feb 18, 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you just copy all files of one system volume with installed OS to another volume

Unfortunately, it's really not that easy.  As was mentioned above, you're really looking for an entirely different class of backup software for OS-level backups.  I'd recommend either of the following:

Macrium Reflect (Free and Commercial) - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
AOMEI Backupper (Free) - http://www.aomeitech.com/

Both are nice and definitely up to the task - though I happen to use Macrium Reflect personally.

Jeff

MadMonkey :

Apr 26, 2017

Hullo
Can you use (say) Macrium and bvckup2 with the same back up drive?

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 26, 2017

Sure thing. Just make sure to point Bvckup2 at a separate (its own) folder on that drive.

hkoivuneva :

May 16, 2017

Yes, the best and safest way I've found is to make disk images automatically with Macrium Reflect for example every Tuesday.

1. Macrium Reflect runs and creates the image of my OS disk.
2. Bvckup 2 detects the new/changed image and copies it to my chosen backup drive.
3. Then it's again copied to a third drive for safety reasons.

I copy them in full just in case the drive on which the image resides would break.

Simple and pretty fail-proof in the end.

Stefan :

Mar 25, 2021

I wish Bvckup will take notes here and add a feature to their tool for OS backup - even as *.img file.. Rather than having me using a different backup solutions for the OS.

If I install the Macrium today to backup my OS drive and see that the software is pretty competent and it gives me all the features I need - Why do I need to have Bvckup 2 as well?.. so Can I get a Refund?

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 25, 2021

It depends on what you need from the backups.

System backups take care of the system as a whole. If it dies, you can restore to what it was. File backups take care of the data - documents, photos, source code, business data, databases, etc. The operating environment itself is considered a dispensable service component.

To each their own.

Re: refund - send an email to support@iobureau.com.

Stefan :

Mar 25, 2021

Thanks for your message Alex,
I rather see an option on Bvckup 2 to backup my OS drive than getting a refund. Just in case my NVMe dies - so I won't have to spend hours on reinstalling everything.
I know for such a job Bvckup will need an USB bootable version of their app so I can pick the backup location. But this will increase the value of their product as well, it will be more competent against other options out there...

Hopefully support team is reading this forum and take notes on improving their software... :)

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates Newsletter
Blog & RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy