The support forum

Beta Release 65

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 24, 2014

Release candidate

This is the second release candidate for production version.

Issues resolved

1. Internal VSS faults are now isolated from the app.

This has to do with VSS sometimes crashing somewhere in the guts of Windows. This release puts a better isolation around VSS calls and contains such unfortunate failures in a graceful manner.
More specifically, this was due to a crash report that involved IsVolumeSupported() function from IVssBackupComponents.

2. Fixed an issue with running installer from a network share.

When installing *from* a mapped drive or network location, this location may become inaccessible due to UAC when the installer restarts with full admin rights. To work around this, the installer now copies itself into a temporary location on a local drive and restarts that copy instead of the original.

This actually has been in for a long time, but I just managed to screw up in one place so it wasn't working properly.

3. Fixed a log viewer issue specific to Australia, NZ and Hawaii

Log viewer would always complain that log files are invalid if you were in a timezone that is 10 or more hours away from Greenwich. Most notably this includes Eastern part of Australia, New Zealand and (going the other way) Hawaii.

See here for details - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/317

4. Fixed smaller UI issues

Other changes

1. Maximum file size check is suppressed for network shares

This is as per https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/313

2. Boot delay is now observed for periodic backups as well

Kudos to me

3. In service mode, the app detects if its config is inaccessible

This is a good one. If you are to switch app into service mode and then change the user account for the service, it would, previously, start and run as usual *even if* that service account had no access to %ProgramData%\Bvckup2. This caused the UI launch with an empty job list, no license and then silently fail when saving newly added jobs. In other words, it wasn't pretty.

Now it will loudly complain that the service config directory is inaccessible and disable the Add Backup option.

4. Mapped drives are now resuscitated only on launch

This is related to a little convenience service that bvckup provides. When the machine is rebooted and you log in, mapped drives may remain in a so-called "disconnected" state until you explicitly click on them in Windows Explorer. Even if the remote side *is* readily accessible. Apparently this was Vista change meant for speeding up the login process.

The issue here is that disconnected mapped drives do NOT appear on the list of drives as seen by applications. However it is possible for an app to understand that particular drive letter is a such drive and then prod it to life. This is what Bvckup was doing since the early betas.

The change in this release is that it now prods each drive only once, while previously it was prodding them every 30 seconds until the end of time.

5. Having multiple licenses is now supported

There are some rare cases when the Installation ID as recorded in the license file flip-flops between two values. This has to do with some sort of timing issue in BIOS whereby some of SMBIOS information is not always available upon app's launch.

For these cases the app now keeps a license per ID and so it doesn't require a license re-activation on each ID flip-flop.

6. Improved resilience to configuration storage failures

Backup settings are stored in a file called settings.ini. Previously, when bvckup was saving these INIs, it was doing a three-phase transactional update using two files - settings.ini and settings.ini.copy. This always maintains at least one .ini file valid at all times and so it is always possible to recover from .ini corruption should the app crash halfway through the save.

This did not however protect against aggressive write caching even though bvckup went out of its way to write all changes through to the physical media. Specifically, both INIs could end up empty if the system bluescreened shortly after an update.

This release adds a backup of .ini files, so in addition to settings.ini and settings.ini.copy there's now also settings.ini.prev file that contains the last-known good version of the settings. If primary config is invalid, the app will automatically revert to using the backup ini (and add a warning to that effect to the log).

scribbly :

Mar 24, 2014

Yay!! I can take bvckup back up to Papua New Guinea!!

genl :

Mar 24, 2014

2. Boot delay is now observed for periodic backups as well

What does this mean?

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 24, 2014

In the Preferences there's an option called "No backups after a reboot for 5 minutes". When checked, it prevents any backups from being run automatically in 5 minutes that follow a reboot or a resume.

Previously, it applied only to real-time backups. Now it also observed for periodic backups - if there's a due backup, it won't run until these 5 minutes run out.

genl :

Mar 24, 2014

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it has anything to do with a delay in the Windows boot loader.

nzh99 :

Mar 25, 2014

Hi Alex,

Is the boot delay just for reboots/resume actions? Is it expected to take effect following a cold start (i.e. from powered off startup)?

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 25, 2014

Cold starts as well, of course. Waking up from hibernation as well.

nzh99 :

Mar 25, 2014

I thought that probably would have been the case, but doesn't seem to match the behaviour I'm seeing. Have updated to B65, started the machine this morning (from cold) and the backup started within a few seconds of the Bvckup icon appearing in the system tray.

I have the option selected to prevent backups for 5 mins.

Let me know if you'd like to look at any logfiles/run any tests/etc.

Thanks,
Neil.

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 25, 2014

Let me know if you'd like to look at any logfiles/run any tests/etc.

Yup, please email me %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2.log. It has all the info.

Grant :

Mar 27, 2014

Hey Alex
Win 7 pro 32b
When i try to back up to a NAS drive in "Services mode" it says it can not find device
error:destination device missing
if i swap back everything works perfect
I have tried rebooting - i can create a new job set it up and only when i go to run it fails
What other info do you want

image of set up  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3awr7jkxaqpyje9/error.jpg
MrG

Alex Pankratov :

Mar 27, 2014

Yep, that's expected.

Mapped drives is a per-user preferences. When you switch Bvckup to run as a service, it restarts under a so-called LocalSystem instead your own and there's no drive T: mapped under that account. Hence the error.

What you need to do is switch to using absolute network paths, i.e. \\NAS\Share\...

This should work, assuming your NAS doesn't require a password for accessing the share behind T:\ drive. If it does, let me know, I'll explain how to work around it.

Grant :

Mar 28, 2014

Awesome
Ill give that a go
MrG

Grant :

Mar 29, 2014

works perfect
MrG

genl :

Apr 04, 2014

Small issue:

During some job I run out of disk space on destination, Bvckup created a small notification at the bottom of the window with "Dismiss" option. I didn't click it and instead went to clean the destination.

Not sure what happened then, but next time I saw the Bvckup window it didn't have a notification anymore and instead the Log panel was open. After I closed it the window height got decreased, exactly by amount of the notification height. I know this because I keep the Bvckup window positioned near the tray/clock corner.

Also, is it possible to make the app window snap ot desktop edges?

PeteZ :

Apr 04, 2014

Not sure that this is the same thing, but i t might be related. I normally have the log window open, and sized down to the bottom so all jobs show. Sometimes when reopening the app it resizes the log portion so that it covers most of the window, covering most of the jobs. Not a huge problem, but annoying to have to resize it.

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 07, 2014

Ok, noted, thanks.

genl :

Apr 15, 2014

Small UI issue under Windows XP:
[Change] buttons in the New backup dialog are all display as default buttons - http://i.imgur.com/51iuHuj.png

Alex Pankratov :

Apr 15, 2014

That's how default XP theme renders sticky push buttons (which are technically checkboxes that look like push buttons). I have no control over how they look :-/

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy