The support forum

Reset or schedule LOGs

Bomba :

May 01, 2014

Is there an option to set archive log or set maximum size/maximum time to log?

Alex Pankratov :

May 01, 2014

Yes, there are options that control that.

In the settings.ini file for each backup job there are two lines -

conf.log_rotate_size        -  the maximum size of the log file
        conf.log_rotate_count    -  the count of archived copies to keep

You start with just backup.log. When it grows to conf.log_rotate_size, it is moved to backup.0.log as soon as the backup is idle, and a new backup.log is started. When new .log grows to the threshold, the process is repeated, i.e. backup.0.log is moved to backup.1.log, backup.log - to backup.0.log and new backup.log is started. Conventionally, this is called "log rotation".

Defaults are 16 MB for size and 1 for rotation count (meaning that there'll be .log and .0.log only). Rotation count cannot be less than 1.

Additionally

As of Release 73 Revision 6 it is now possible to rotate the logs on schedule, e.g. every day or every week. This is controlled by the following two settings.ini entries -

conf.log_rotate_intvl   -  the rotation interval
        conf.log_rotate_first   -  time of the first rotation

The interval is in "<unit>:<value>" format, whereby <unit> is

2 for microseconds,
3 for milliseconds,
4 for seconds,
5 for minutes,
6 for hours,
7 for days,
8 for weeks

So 3:45 is "45 milliseconds" and "4:5" is "5 seconds".

Finally

See this post for instructions on how to find and edit the INI files -
https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/933

PaulK :

Aug 22, 2014

On the first server I changed log size to 128 (very small) and rotation count to 30 on 4 jobs and it's working perfectly. The jobs were configured in version 69, but it's since been upgraded to version 70.

On my latest server I did the same thing (after closing the app and stopping the service) but the logs aren't rotating. I've confirmed that the settings.ini has maintained the changes for both jobs. I've even changed the rotation size to 1.

Any help is appreciated.

PaulK :

Aug 22, 2014

Well, wouldn't you know that it would start working moments after I posted here. I have no idea why, but it's working.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 22, 2014

Have you had a log file opened in Notepad or some other app by any chance?

PaulK :

Aug 27, 2014

That is very likely.

ScottD-KMHA :

Jun 09, 2017

Just follow-up on this feature of scheduled log rotations...

conf.log_rotate_first                              0000-00-00 00:00:00.000
conf.log_rotate_intvl                              7:7
conf.log_rotate_size                               16777216

1) Do we have to set the "conf.log_rotate_first" to a specific date/time or can we just leave it "0000-00-00 00:00:00.000"?

2) Will setting the "conf.log_rotate_intvl" to "7:7" cause Bvckup to ignore the "conf.log_rotate_size" value of "16777216"?  I'm looking for every 7 day log rotation and not every 16MB log rotation.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 09, 2017

1) You can leave it at all-zeroes. It will cause the program to set it to current date/time on the next launch after "conf.log_rotate_intvl" is set to a valid interval value.

2) No, it will rotate on either condition. If you want to disable size-based rotation, set conf.log_rotate_size to 0

#) Also, with newer versions you can use humanized interval format, e.g.

7 days

or "7 d", and similar forms for all other interval units.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Follow
Twitter
Dev blog
Miscellanea Press resources
Testimonials
On robocopy
Company
Imprint

Legal Terms