The support forum

Beta Release 66

Alex Pankratov :

May 13, 2014

Ta-Da

This is the final release candidate for the production version.

New features

1. Added full High DPI support - the app now should look substantially better when running in High DPI (zoomed-in) modes on newer Windows. In particular, smaller icons like the expand/collapse buttons in the log viewer and file/folder icons in the content filter - all these now come in several sizes to accommodate different DPI modes.

2. Added network path monitoring for mapped drives - in addition to monitoring the availability of explicit network paths (\\server\share) the app now also monitors paths behind mapped drives. Specifically, the backup won't be run until the app ensures that the remote path is accessible and it will keep backup in "waiting for the device" state until then.

3. Environment variables in pre-/post-backup commands are now expanded in the app if they are present. For example, the "explorer.exe %BVCKUP_src%" command will actually be spawned as "explorer.exe C:\Source\Foo". If you don't know what this means, then you most likely don't need this :)

Issues resolved

Reworked backup scheduling module -- this has to do with how backups are marked up for execution internally in the app.

Previously, the engine was going through the list of backups several times a second and checked if any of the backups were ready for execution - be it due to file system changes or because it was their scheduled time to go. This was clumsy and it caused the UI to try and mimic engine's behavior in order to display what the engine was thinking.

Starting with this version the engine tags each backup with intended run time and a separate part simply runs backups that are due. This run time is re-calculated only when something interesting happens - the file system changes, devices arrive or depart or the backup config changes. All in all, it is a simpler, less hectic approach *and* it also helps UI to know *exactly* when each backup is due.

This should resolve https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/354

Fixed timestamp issue with Synology DiskStation - this is another take on Synology funny way of trimming each timestamp to .9999999th second.

Fixed an issue with running with 2+ licenses - this is for https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/312

Fixed a small UI resource leak - this is related to XP installs and to anyone running with any 3rd party themeing software. There was a small handle leak in the main window re-painting code, something that Windows natively absorbs, so it only manifested on older and custom systems.

5. Smaller UI tweaks and fixes

6. Improved support for post-resume backup delays - some Windows boxes appear to be entering Suspended mode without properly notifying apps, so this fix tries to catch these cases and still service post-resume delays as required.

Other changes

Switched to a newer version of the compiler - upgraded to Visual Studio 2013 and as any change in the build toolset this may cause all sorts of funny issues. On the plus side, it does appear to be producing smaller executables.

Configuration folders can now be redirected with an .ini - whenever the app is reading an .ini file now, it will first look for a file called redirect.ini. If it's present, it will read a single line from it and treat it as a new path for the .ini. Repeat and rinse.

In other words, you can now move app's config from %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2 to, say, X:\Foo\Bar by creating %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\redirect.ini and putting "X:\Foo\Bar" in it.

Empty file names are now detected and reported - this is an interesting one. I got a couple of reports of the app crapping out because it runs into a folder with an empty name. It would basically be enumerating items in some directory and one of items will have a zero-length name. This should not be happening, but it did.

After thinking about this for a while I believe the only explanation for this is a presence of a rootkit in the box. While you cannot create a file with an ASCII zero in the middle using any normal app, it is still possible to do that via NtCreateFile API. In fact, you can create a file named \0abcdf (i.e. starting with character with a code of 0) and it will be created. It will also appear to any regular app as a file with an empty and most if not all of them will skip over such file. Bvckup is a pedant, so it didn't and raised fuss instead.

In any case, this is a known technique for creating concealed folders and files and it is *typically* used by rootkits and some such. It is also used by some DRM software. Long story short, bvckup now treats such zero-named files as a possibility, but it logs a large fat warning.

Restyled the delta copying progress bar - that's just my favorite past time. I change its look and feel every few releases :)

Deipotent :

May 13, 2014

2. Configuration folders can now be redirected with an .ini

Nice. I prefer this approach instead of the original registry tweak. Feel free to remove the registry tweak unless other people are using it, as I will be using this new method.

BTW, you made a mistake in your example - the line in redirect.ini be "X:\Foo\Bar", not "%LocalAppData%\Bvckup2" :)

Alex Pankratov :

May 14, 2014

I somehow knew you'd like this change :)

Fixed that thing, thanks.

Deipotent :

May 15, 2014

Is the new redirect.ini only meant for when running as an app or will it also work if I place redirect.ini in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Bvckup2 ?

Alex Pankratov :

May 15, 2014

Not for that one, but for C:\ProgramData\Bvckup2, which is the service config directory for more recent betas. I made a switch from C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles 10, may be 15 releases ago (?)

sonic9 :

May 17, 2014

after updated v65 to v66 , the gui doesn't open and process doesn't appears in taskmgr ...
on windows server 2008 x64 ... revert to v65 to work again ... any advices ?

Alex Pankratov :

May 17, 2014

That's not very good. Can you please email me %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2.log? That's unless you are running in it in the service mode, in which case please just send me an email and I'll ask you few questions.

sonic9 :

May 18, 2014

bvckup2-v66 doesn't create log file at all ...
it simply doesn't start, no error , nothing display ...
i'm not running in service mode ...

Alex Pankratov :

May 18, 2014

Ok, then if you are running an antivirus or using an AppLocker, please check that they are no throwing a false positive over this new .exe. Secondly, check the event log (with Event Viewer) and see if there are any events logged against bvckup2.exe crashing.

All in all and based on what I've seen so far this is the only report of this kind. This doesn't mean that it's *not* an issue with the .exe, but it also means that it's as likely to be an issue with your setup.

sonic9 :

May 18, 2014

no AV but I use Net Balancer to limit bandwidth during day ...
I will try on a VM and same software setup . Thanks for your serious.

lastchancesal :

May 18, 2014

Similar to sonic9's error:
Beta 66 not running on Win XP Pro x64 SP2
Error is:
bvckup2.exe is not a valid Win32 application

I was able to reinstall the earlier beta 64 over 66 and it replaced it!
Now working again.

Alex Pankratov :

May 18, 2014

Oh ... XP x64 ... I always assumed it existed only in theory. I have never targeted it.

So here's my problem. I have switched from an older version of the compiler (Visual Studio 2010) to the newer one (Visual Studio 2013). Latter has lots of improvements, generates better code, it comes with static code analysis tools, etc. However in order to build XP-compatible executables it needs to be run in a mode that effectively disables all these new features. And this is what I do, but only for 32-bit version of bvckup2.exe. For 64-bit version I use newer toolchain, but this automatically excludes XP x64 as a target platform.

In other words, while I can build x64 version that is XP-compatible, it will mean shipping a sub-par version to a vast majority of users that is *not* on XP + 64bit combination.

So let me ask you this - what are your plans for switching away from XP/64? I am not trying to convince you to do that, I just want to understand where you stand.

genl :

May 19, 2014

Are you sure it's not related to the possible absence on installed Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 20xx?

I met several cases where developer switches to a newer Visual Studio and then users are unable to run the app without installing newer redistributable packages.

Alex Pankratov :

May 19, 2014

This is not the issue, I'm positive. The app is statically linked.

lastchancesal :

May 26, 2014

Thank you for your reply, Alex.

One of my PCs happens to be running XP x64. I have no plans for changing that (since it runs runs perfectly well for what I require), but thought my post might be of interest. I will simply use an alternative backup solution, or the earlier beta :-) !

I have no problem at all with your release version not supporting XP x64. If MS don't support XP x64, why should developers, right? I do not expect it from new software, it's just nice when it happens. If you think there may be a possible solution, I'll keep an eye on this forum and test it, if you wish. I think I know the answer, though.
;-)

From what you say, could I transfer the 32-bit version from another machine, and then run that?

lastchancesal :

May 26, 2014

I've just caught up with and read a couple of posts where you talk about XP x64 support - the message in beta 67, and the working version for release 68.

If you would like any help testing releases on x64, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Alex Pankratov :

May 27, 2014

Just let me know if R68 works in your setup and we'll call it a "field test" :)

lastchancesal :

Jun 02, 2014

Alex,

R68 seems to run just fine on XP x64.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit