The support forum

Duplicate item

peterll :

Aug 05, 2014

I have a backup where the source as a network share, and the destination is the local disk (NTFS) on the machine running Bvckup 2.

The source is actually a Linux machine running samba, and hence the filesystem is ultimately case sensitive.

I have a directory which contains both a file called 'INSTALL' and a folder called 'install'. Attempting to back up this directory with Bvckup 2, release 69 gives the following error in the logs:

2014.08.05 15:51:15.128 (UTC+0) 3 3             Compiling list of changes ...
2014.08.05 15:51:16.221 (UTC+0) 0 4                 Found duplicate item 'install' in '\\server\share\directory\'
2014.08.05 15:51:16.448 (UTC+0) 0 4                 Error: failed to create backup plan

.... and the backup run is aborted.

I am happy for one or the other of the 'install' file/folder not to be backed up and for an error to be logged to this effect, but I don't think it should cause the entire backup to be aborted !

Do you agree?

Thanks
Peter

genl :

Aug 06, 2014

I think it's quite logical since it seems to fail on creating a snapshot itself.

Ultimately, you may want destination to support same feature set, including case sensitivity. Of course, it may be possible to teach Bvckup to ignore such duplicates - but then there should be some kind of interface or messages for you to choose what to keep or ignore.

Did you try to exclude those folders in job settings? If that works, there is still a problem where you'd have to exclude any new duplicate entry for the job to start correctly, unless Bvckup starts to decide by itself on what to ignore.

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 06, 2014

Bvckup 2 is written under an assumption of a case-preserving, case-insensitive file system on both ends. It's one of core assumptions in the app and as such changing it will require profound changes throughout the code, which is not something I am ready to do at the moment. Admittedly, I should've added a test for case-sensitive file system and then made the app to issue a LOUD warning.

genl's suggestion is spot on. you can add a manual "exclude" filter for "install" the file and see if the scan goes through (it will if the file appears on the listing before the INSTALL directory). If it doesn't, then add a filter for "INSTALL" the folder and the scan should go through. In either case this will need to be a manual filter, because the tree widget is based on the same scanning code as the backup engine, so it will abort the scan upon encountering a duplicate.

In theory, I can add a setting to allow ignoring duplicates, but this would essentially lead to a random item. Unless there's a finer control over what's to include and what's to ignore, but again this is quite a bit of work for what is essentially a marginal case.

Another option is to shift the burden onto Samba by reconfiguring it with "case sensitive" set to "false". Frankly, I have no idea how it will handle INSTALL/install after this, but at least it should stop reporting duplicates after that. Again - I haven't tried it, it's just pure guess.

genl :

Aug 06, 2014

Alex, I'm not sure if this is related, but you've included the [Support for Samba NTFS volumes] as a feature at the homepage. Isn't it the same case? Or NTFS is not a default FS for Samba and can't be case sensitive?

Alex Pankratov :

Aug 06, 2014

Samba's default for "case sensitive" is "auto", which translates to "no" when talking to Windows clients, so what Peter has is a bit of an exotic case as far as Samba+Windows combo is concerned.

The "support for Samba NTFS volumes" refers to Samba shortcomings when it comes to handling of timestamps (no c-time support, for example), attributes (setting one actually may set several... or none) and such.

peterll :

Aug 19, 2014

It sounds like it's a hard fix, which on the one hand is OK, but it was worth asking.
I've worked around the problem by renaming one of the files. Until someone creates a new file which causes everything to stop again!

I would like to make the point that actually I don't think my case is particularly exotic. I could very easily have said "NAS" instead of "server" and then it's a very common setup to have storage on a Linux box with a Windows machine accessing it.

pmcjones :

Jan 04, 2020

I encountered another situation with "Duplicate file": I have WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) installed, and under C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\lxss\rootfs\usr\share\ there are various pairs of files whose names differ only by the case of a letter. This is not a problem for me (I should configure Bvckup to skip the entire subtree).

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy