The support forum

Source time stamps always wrong so backup just repeats over and over

westfielder :

Oct 02, 2014

I used to be a software engineer and I LOVE this software - simplicity, presentation, robustness and am trying before buying.
I have backed up about 70GB of documents to a NAS (using BVCKUP for the initial backup).
The schedule is set to real time. But each time the backup finishes it restarts again in full - all 14000 files and takes 6 hours.
I investigated lots of files and for every entry in the log the
source timestamp says :
Created 2014/03/29 and a time of day, modified: 'whenever the file was originally modified'
Destination timestamp says :
Created 'whenever the file was originally modified'
and a time of day, modified: 'whenever the file was originally modified'
So the source time stamps don't match.
for each file the source time stamp time changes by about 300ms

Any idea what's wrong or if I can fix it - I would love to use this beautiful software as my backup solution and buy it for other PCs too.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 02, 2014

This basically means that your NAS doesn't support "created" timestamps and Bvckup should've detected that as it has code to do just that. But in your case it didn't, which is weird ... or it did and there's something else funny going on.

So, first things first - please email me %LocalAppData%\Bvckup2\bvckup2-fsi.log file, I'd like to understand if the detection indeed failed.

Second - you will need to put a manual override to tell Bvckup not to look at the "created" timestamps when deciding if the file is modified or not. To do this -

1. Stop the backup if it's running.
2. Right-click on it, Open Folder -> Configuration & Logging
3. Open settings.ini in Notepad
4. Exit Bvckup
5. Go back to settings.ini, find line that starts with "conf.ctime_match" and change it from 2 to 1
6. Save the .ini, exit Notepad
7. Start Bvckup, run the backup and it should get processed as expected

This should solve it. If it doesn't, then your original analysis is off and there's something else going on.

PS. Thanks for "LOVE", glad to hear that :)

westfielder :

Oct 02, 2014

Wow - thanks for the fast response. I've sent the file to support@pip.....

Did the above. restarted Bvckup and restarted the backup. It started the whole 14oooo files again. I guess that it may need to run once first and then be OK.
Will let it run tomorrow and update you.
Thanks for the support :-)

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 02, 2014

Got email, thanks.
No, it should've not started to redo all files again. I will need to have a look at the log entry relating to any of these files ... something's wrong with the timestamps, I think you got that right. The question is what exactly.

westfielder :

Oct 03, 2014

I've done lots of investigating and managed to recreate the problem with a very small data set of 8 small files so the log files can be read easily - I've emailed the log of backup and the small folder of files and a list of all the tests I've tried

Thanks for your continued support

Nick

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 03, 2014

Yep, got it.

That worked out to be another case of NAS doing crazy timestamp truncation. The fix will be in R71, but ... damn ... I mean what could be the reason for rounding up  

to

Note the ...080 at the end. It rounds up to the second but then decides to keep the second digit. This makes no sense.

genl :

Oct 31, 2014

Maybe you could add an option to configure the threshold, so when comparing timestamps Bvckup could take a difference of, say, 500 ms or less as non-existent? I imagine that could potentially solve many problems with strange setups in future.

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 31, 2014

Yep. It *is* configurable already. This is controlled by ctime_gran and mtime_gran values in backup's settings.ini file. These aren't in ms though, but rather in "NTFS time units", each of which is a 100 of nanoseconds.

Create
Made by Pipemetrics in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy