The support forum

Beta Release 15

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 11, 2013

1. Added the "use as needed" option for shadow copying. When selected, it will cause the backup not take a VSS snapshot of the source volume until it encounters a locked file during the copying phase. This shaves off several seconds per run if the VSS is not needed. http://bvckup2.com/wip/vss-use-if-needed.png

2. Added support for excluding/including files and directories. These filters are taken into an account *during* the scanning phase, which is a good improvement over the v1 that applied them only after completing full source scan.

For now they are hardcoded to merely exclude several system files (e.g. hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys) and directories (System Volume Information, ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto, etc) - http://bvckup2.com/wip/auto-excluded.png

3. Added code to force destination scan if during a backup some the state of the destination doesn't happen to match what Bvckup thinks it should be. This applies to the case when Bvckup is relying on a locally-stored destination snapshot to deduce the changes. Which leads me to...

4. Rewoded a part of the configuration UI that deals with how the changes are detected. http://bvckup2.com/wip/new-copy-what.png

5. Extended error reporting to log human-friendly messages for several common error codes. Added code to recognize TrueCrypt volumes and warn of the lack of the VSS support. Added a message to suggest restarting as Administrator (and thus enabling VSS) upon encountering a locked file.

6. Put in provisional fix for MoveFileEx failing with 31 when copying to SFTP NetDrive.

7. Fixed the update checking code not to do *two* back-to-back checks shortly after the launch.

Please update.

Next release will focus on the archival of the deleted items and speed improvements.

Deipotent :

Jun 11, 2013

- When running as a service, auto-update does not restart the UI part (the service is restarted fine).

- "Use if needed" should be the default option IMO.

Deipotent :

Jun 11, 2013

If there are no backups and you double-click the top window border (ie. to maximize the window height), then double-click again to restore normal height, the "Add new backup..." hyperlink in the middle of the window is not visible. Resizing window will cause it to re-appear. After it re-appears, the same bug does not occur again until you exit and restart Bvckup.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 11, 2013

When running as a service, auto-update does not restart the UI part (the service is restarted fine).

Did this spit out any message boxes? The code to restart the UI is certainly there and it "worked on my machine"

"Use if needed" should be the default option IMO.

Agreed.

If there are no backups and you double-click the top window border

Hmm, can't readily reproduce this, but let me have a closer look in a bit.

jaquer :

Jun 11, 2013

I received an error while trying to update:

Failed to update your Bvckup installation.

Failed to shutdown the running instance of Bvckup.

I'm running the program as a Standard User, but I got a UAC prompt during the update process.

I have not tried to manually update in case you want me to debug why the update is failing.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 11, 2013

@jaquer - Ah, excellent thought. Let me cook you up a diagnostic build. I'll email you shortly.

Jadag :

Jun 11, 2013

I am loving Bvckup with all the changes.

However, as I am not a "technical boffin" I have been looking at Bvckup from the point-of-view of an ordinary user. All you guys seem to be taking care of issues "under the hood" so I'll just comment as follows (most I have mentioned before - sorry);

1. Bvckup definitely needs a "Description" field.

2. I would love to see a "Move Up/Move Down" feature so I can group bvckups (e.g all C: to D: together: all D: to External Drive together etc.)

3. I believe a "Backup all Bvckup settings and configurations to ..." (I would like to choose an external Drive location) and a "Restore all Bvckup settings and configurations from" buttons will be of enormous help (essential for non-technical users)

4. "Close to system tray" feature

5. When a backup shows an error, describe the error in the log panel. (currrently just shows "1 error" which means nothing to me

6. Is there some way the add a button "Send error report to Alex" on the log panel drop-down menu for individual errors? The notepad currently has over 50 pages going back about 9 days.

Regards

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2013

@Jadag -

1. On a ToDo list, though admittedly on a low priority

2. Coming up

3. Ok, noted. Again, I agree, but I will need to see how exactly to work this into the program.

4. It already _minimizes_ to the tray, so I'd like to understand why _closing_ to the tray is more preferable. To me, minimizing is removing app's window from the screen and closing is exiting the program. But you are not the first person to ask for this, so I guess I'm missing something here.

5. You can click on the error and it will take you to the 1st error on the last backup run, and I will be adding a way to navigate between all errors of the run with simple clicks.

6. Let me think about this one. A simple right-click, copy to clipboard would probably be a good start.

Upsidedownweb :

Jun 12, 2013

got these 2 erros to day https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1427415/2%20errors.JPG
let me know if you need a file
MrG

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2013

@MrG - Nope, I don't, thanks. These are OK.

First one is a VSS hiccup, apparently it happens and there's not much I can do about it. Second is due to a format change of an internal Bvckup's file that is used to store a copy of destination contents. This was a one-time change and in a retrospect I should've suppressed this error... but I didn't.

Upsidedownweb :

Jun 12, 2013

kool
MrG

Jadag :

Jun 12, 2013

Re point 4 "Close to system tray" feature;

Because I have a few programs that minimize on "X" (Typetin, Cubby, Internet Download Accelerator, Teamviewer and a few others) I guess I have just developed the bad habbit of using "x" to minimize :(

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2013

Ok, fair enough. I'll add it back shortly.

JacobMoreagles :

Jun 12, 2013

With this current build I'm running 2 backups, 1 to backup my files nightly, and one to backup and groom the backup directory every 2 weeks. I ran a test on it and it seems to be grooming the deleted files like it should, but when the other (non deleting) backup hit, it gave me ~1400 errors like this:
"directory already exists \\?f:\backup\Images\A\2013\printed\"
and a few that read:
"Error: file not found" and that the destination snapshot is out of sync.

Now, I'm assuming this has something to do with 2 backups being run on the same source/backup directories, so is there a way around this? or is it even dangerous? I'm thinking that everything is getting backed up like it should, just with some complaining.

Also, if there were a way to only have the "delete" function work every so often (like every n days or every n runs) it would *really* make my life easier.

Alex Pankratov :

Jun 12, 2013

You should most certainly NOT point them at the same destination directory or take a great care not to have them run at the same time. But generally - just don't, it's a road to hell with any backup program, not just bvckup. That's the fine print disclaimer.

That out of the way, I have to say that the idea is clever. What you want to do is to set both jobs to use "Source vs Destination" in "Copy What" section. The "Source vs Source" option, which is the default, is really meant for real-time backups as it allows skipping the destination scan and save few seconds per run.

Secondly, and I assume you already do that, stagger the jobs so they won't overlap. Keep a good safety margin. I have similar setup to your and I screwed up. Who'd thought that a full backup of a measly 320G drive would take close to 6 hours?

With regards to the improvement to the delete - I have just finished adding an archiving option to the next release. It is a variation of Recycle Bin basically, it moves backup copies of deleted files (and folders) to a dedicated directory. It doesn't have an auto-trimming feature yet, but that's a sensible thing to have and it shouldn't be hard to add. I'll do a detailed write-up with the next release, give me a day.

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy