The support forum

TrueCrypt volume not detected as ready when running in service mode

Ragewind :

Jan 08, 2015

Hello all,

I'm currently evaluation bvckup2 and I have noticed the following issue on my system:

I use TrueCrypt to mount an encrypted partition (which resides on an external USB disk) as a removable medium with its own drive letter and label in windows.

There is a backup job which uses the mounted volume as destination. The job is configured to use device tracking by volume label to automatically start backup once the volume is mounted.  (Not immediately available at system startup since I have to manually enter the password).

In application mode this works very well: When connecting the drive the TrueCrypt dialog comes up and the volume is mounted. This is recognized by bvckup and the backup job starts.

However, when switching to running in service mode, the service does not recognize the volume becoming available and the UI displays "Waiting for the original destination device..." forever.

In application mode the following lines are logged in the debug console when mounting the volume (timestamps removed for brevity):
3 00BA8 en | Device arrived, unit_mask = 00800000, flags = 00
3 00BA8 en | Processing 00800000 arrival and 00000000 removal
3 00BA8 en | (will requery in 5000 ms)
3 00BA8 en | Drive X -> type 2, removable n, bitlock 0, label [BACKUP-01-DATA], id [84281501.NTFS], bus 0, chars 00000000
2 00BA8 en | Job [1], state [expecting-a-device] -> [idle]

Do you have any advice on how to proceed?

Thank you,
Ragewind

Ragewind :

Jan 08, 2015

Additional information:
Application mode works correctly without full administrative rights as well as with them.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 08, 2015

Yes, I can reproduce this.

Let me see what's up with it. There are certain differences in how drive arrivals/departures are reported to the apps and the service processes, but it seems to be a TC-specific quirk.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 08, 2015

Oki-doki. So this *is* an issue with how TC broadcasts its device arrival/departure notifications - these go out only to the apps that share a session with truecrypt.exe process, and it doesn't bother sending them out to the services (there's a separate mechanism for this).

Therefore, the only possible solution to this is to make the bvckup2 service periodically rescan all vacant drives to see if any new volumes got mounted there. Incidentally, this is how early betas worked, but I then moved to the incremental notification-based way of maintaining the drive list. I will re-add this into the next release, so that when running in a service mode the app would periodically scan for arrival/departure of TC volumes. Bear with me for a day or two.

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 08, 2015

... and it's done. Will be out tomorrow in a form of Release 72 rev 4.

Ragewind :

Jan 08, 2015

Alex, Earlier I was already impressed by the fast reaction and analysis, but now you're topping even that - that's extraordinary.

I like your style, thank you very much for your dedication! Looking forward to the update, of course ;)

Alex Pankratov :

Jan 09, 2015

No problem, it was an interesting issue :)
The fix is out - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/502/3029

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms