The support forum

Restore

iancharles :

Feb 05, 2015

New user and I can't see wher to restore files from. Can someone help?

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 05, 2015

(replied by email)

nin66 :

Feb 10, 2015

Backing up is very easy and incredibly fast. Really good!
Now, I am in need to fully restore my C drive (OS). Wait. How to do this?

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 10, 2015

In short - Bvckup 2 is not meant for the OS backups and it is not possible to make a full computer restore from a backup made with this app.

Bvckup 2 is a _data_ backup software, it operates at the file system level and handles just the files and folders. Complete OS backups is a task of another class of backup software called _system_ backup. The principle difference between the two is that system backups also handle non-file system elements such as partition tables, boot records and such. They can format disks, partition them and make them bootable.

Data backup is inherently a simpler and more specialized backup, it’s merely ensures that your important data files (documents, photos, etc) exist in more than one copy.

nin66 :

Feb 11, 2015

Thank you for your answer.

I understand. Could you help me with pointing out how to restore what _has_ been backed up? Just copy the files in 'destination' or isn't there a dedicated function? Do you recommend using  boot cd?

Alex Pankratov :

Feb 12, 2015

Yes, restoring is just a simple matter of copying files back and this is something that is well supported by Windows natively, so there's no dedicated function for this in the app.

* For system backups the restore function is a must because it needs to create boot records, repartition disks, etc. - things that can't be done by hand. Also, restore is generally needed if the backups are stored in a compressed or de-duplicated format. In this case backed up files are not readily available and the app needs to do some processing to assemble them from pieces.

If you are going to restore files by copying from the backup, there are some caveats. One is that copying programs back to C:\ProgramFiles is generally not sufficient to "install" programs. Similarly, copying Outlook data back into its original place is not enough for the Outlook to "see" these data files. Thirdly, copying anything into Windows\System32 folder is generally not a good idea at all - there's a complex hierarchy of dependencies between the DLL files and it's fairly easy to break it, rendering the whole system glitchy at best and unbootable at worst.

Sorry if this is not what you'd like to hear. It's just that restoring a system from a file backup is pretty damn tricky.

nin66 :

Feb 17, 2015

Thank you Alexandr. This is exactly answering my questions.

gubja :

Oct 07, 2019

I have made a backup of a disk with date folders. All folders have got the backup date as an appendix to the folder name. If I am going to copy this to another disk, do I have to change the folder name manually for each folder ?
Thanks for a fast program with an interface easy to understand, anyway
gubja

Alex Pankratov :

Oct 08, 2019

I don't think I understand the context, sorry. The date may end up being appended to the folder names in two cases -

(1) When its original at source is deleted and the backup is set to "Archive backup copied of deleted items"
(2) When using dynamic backup paths as per https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/1091

Which one is your case? Or is it something else altogether?

Create
Made by IO Bureau in Switzerland
Support

Updates
Blog / RSS
Follow Twitter
Reddit
Miscellanea Press kit
Testimonials
Company Imprint

Legal Terms
Privacy